Josh Temple's Top 10 DIY Skills
When embarking on a home remodeling project, little mistakes can cost a lot of money and time. Here are the basic skills every DIYer should have to get the job done right — the first time.
1. Read a tape measure — twice.
2. Know how to properly operate power tools and switch out the blades or bits.
3. Read the manufacturer's instructions before starting a project.
4. Have patience in estimation, progress and redoing projects.
5. Spot safety hazards from the get-go, like gas, water and electrical lines.
6. Know when permits or further engineering is needed.
7. Know the time and money involved before you start a project.
8. Know basic math — it will make calculations less frustrating.
9. Work with safety gear and use the safety attachment on tools.
10. Communicate with your spouse or children, especially when the new deck won't be ready as soon as you thought.