Homemade Scalp Massage Oil
Tame that summer frizz by stimulating your scalp with this essential oil recipe you can make in minutes.
Dry, frizzy hair isn't made for the South. During summer months, it seems like nothing can tame my locks. I stay away from hair products that will damage my hair more down the road, but several home remedies I've tried have been a bust.
Juliette Goggin and Abi Righton's book Handmade Beauty is filled with natural recipes for the face, body and hair. The key to healthy hair is a healthy scalp, so I decided to give their recipe for nourishing scalp massage a try. I was able to get all the ingredients at my local healthy supermarket for under $40, and trust me, this will last you for months.
First, I added jojoba oil to a small bowl, followed by primrose oil, which comes in pill form. I poked a hole in the pill and simply squeezed it out (You can take the rest of the pills as a natural dietary supplement). Then, I added the rest of the ingredients and mixed until evenly distributed. I put a very small amount on my fingertips, and massaged into my scalp. I left it on for 30 minutes, and washed it out with shampoo. That's all there is to it!
- Massage a very small amount onto your scalp to avoid greasy hair.
- The mixture will last up to 6 months if you store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. In typical Southern fashion, I stored mine in a miniature Mason jar.
- Hours later, my hair is super soft and smells like I spent the day at the spa. Oh, and no frizz!
Get the full recipe below to try it at home.
Nourishing Scalp Massage Oil Recipe
- 4 teaspoons jojoba oil
- 3 teaspoons evening primrose oil
- 3 teaspoons rosehip oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops camomile essential oil in dilution
1. Measure all ingredients into a glass beaker or jug, and stir with a stainless steel teaspoon to mix thoroughly.
2. Pour the oil into a sterilized, airtight glass bottle. A small funnel may help the transfer. Label with the date and ingredients used.
3. Massage gently into the scalp, and leave on for about 30 minutes. Remove by washing hair with your chosen shampoo. Use regularly to maintain scalp health.