Plumbing and Cleaning Tips
Take a look at these helpful tips for those accomplishing those home DIY projects.
- Sometimes a coat hanger will clear a drain when a plumbing snake isn't available. Straighten the metal, bend a small hook in the end with pliers, and poke it in and out of the drain as far as it will go.
- A 2-liter soda bottle makes an excellent adjustable air pillow to keep your head clean and neck comfortable when working under cabinets and in difficult positions.
- An afghan hook, available at knitting and fabric stores, is the perfect tool for removing hair and other debris from a tub drain with a cover that is tough or impossible to remove.
- If you're stuck in a bind without your favorite penetrating oil, try lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide or kerosene to cut through rust and corrosion.
- A cracked plastic bucket can be repaired with a hot table knife. Heat the knife with a candle and press it against the crack rubbing slowly back and forth until it is sealed.
- Toothpaste applied with a damp rag will put the shine back on your hand tools. For really tough deposits, try oven cleaner.