Pale interior glossy or semi-gloss paint
Wood stain (2 colors)
Recessed flood lights
1. Paint walls new color.
2. Expand space even more by painting woodwork a shade or two lighter.
Combine multiple layers of light and color to make small room seem larger.
The lighter the color and higher the sheen, the more light will reflect and the airier the space will appear.
1. Build focal wall behind bed with frame of 2x4s and wood planks.
2. Paint some planks color of walls and sand them so color shows only in wood rings; stain others light shades.
3. Alternate colors and shades as you attach them to frame.
1. Bring in the sun.
2. Trade heavy drapes for sheers, bamboo blinds, or interior shutters.
1. If ceiling is next to roof, install skylights.
2. If ceiling is not against roof, run solar tube through attic.
3. Add layers of natural-looking light.
4. Use different kinds of LED fixtures to divide room into series of spaces.
5. Install recessed flood lights for ambient lighting.
6. Bring in torchières to bounce light off ceiling and back into room.
7. Use table lamps to create pools of light.
LED bulbs or low emitting diodes provide warm light of incandescents; use up to 85% less energy; and can last up to 25,000 hours.
Torchière is tall lamp with open bowl and no shade; 75W to 100W bulbs work best in these lamps.