Jackhammer or sledge
1. Use jackhammer or sledge to break up concrete.
2. Use excavator to scoop and dump pieces into truck or bin.
3. Use excavator to dig new, 8-inch foundation.
4. Rent tamper to pack gravel and sand into bottom of foundation.
5. Lay first row of pavers across walk.
6. Finish edges with perpendicular row of soldier pavers.
7. Sweep sand into joints.
8. Tamp soil along edges.
Replacing an old walkway is easier with the right equipment.
You can rent excavator.
Pull right lever back to raise boom; push forward to lower it.
Save soil for finishing edges of new walk.
You can also make tamper out of 2x4 and plywood.
To keep pavers level, place them gently on top of sand; no pushing.
Run string and stakes for guide.