Recycled Pop Top Bracelet
Experience Level: Beginner
Materials and Tools
soda pop tabs — washed and cleaned, about 20
elastic cord — two lengths, each measuring about 12"
small binder clips
Note: You need to work with an even number of rings, and make sure the center ring in the pop top is missing. For every side there is a smooth top and a rough side. You want to make sure the rough side is sandwiched inside because you want the smooth side next to your skin.
1. Take two lengths of elastic cord and clip together the far left ends with one binder clip, allowing some space between them.
2. Take the first two tabs and overlap them (rough sides together). String top elastic into top hole (front to back), then pull elastic through (back to front) via the overlapped hole. Repeat with bottom hole and bottom length of elastic. Drag tabs to the left such that they rest about 1/2" from their bound ends.
3. Add third tab by setting it next to the first tab (rough side in), then pull top elastic into the bottom overlapped hole of the second and third tab (front to back). Take bottom elastic and place in top overlapped holes. The cords will now be criss-crossed. Ensure tabs are snuggled next to each other.
4. Flip over. Add a fourth tab by setting it next to the second tab (rough side inward), and now pull top elastic into top overlapping holes of the third and fourth tabs (front to back). Do the same with the bottom elastic strand into the bottom overlapping holes. The cords on this side will be parallel.
5. Flip over again. Add a fifth tab by setting it next to the third tab (rough side inward), and pull the top elastic into bottom overlapped hole of fourth and fifth hole (front to back). Pull bottom elastic through the top overlapped hole.
6. Continue in this manner, adding tabs in such a way that one side of the bracelet will have criss-crossed cords, and then other will have elastic parallel, until you have added 20 tabs total. (Quickly wrap bracelet around your wrist to access if 20 is enough. If not, add more tabs accordingly, just make sure you have an even number of tabs in the end.)
7. Bend the bracelet by connecting the ends so you can see how they fit together. The far left and right tabs will overlap. Hold in place.
8. Remove binder clip from one side. Pull top and bottom elastic cords into overlapped holes to close off bracelet. Tie matching cord ends together and cut off excess. Turn bracelet inside out to hide knots.