How to Make a Fairy Costume
Materials and Tools:
store-bought girl's dress
stems of artificial flowers
scarf in a coordinating color
hot glue and hot glue gun
1-yd. each of two colors of tulle
large artificial flower stem
glitter glue, rhinestones, glow-in-the-dark paint
- Remove the individual blooms from the stems of artificial flowers. Remove any plastic parts from the flowers and safety pin flowers to the hem, skirt, and neckline of the dress. Pin the flowers such that the safety pin remains on the outside of the garment so that it is more comfortable to wear and helps prevent any pin pricks.
- Use hot glue to attach additional flowers to the center portion of the scarf. This will be the waist sash. Use hot glue to attach flowers to the center portion of the headband.
- To make the wings: Cut the tulle into pieces that are 36" x 18" (smaller fairies may need smaller wings and this size can be adjusted). Lay alternating colors of tulle in a stack. Cinch in the center and tie with a satin ribbon. Pin the wings to the back of the dress.
- Wrap the end of the large artificial flower stem with leftover satin ribbon to make a flower fairy wand.
- Embellish any elements of the costume with glitter paint, rhinestones, and/or dimensional glow-in-the-dark paint (optional).