Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
More in Outdoors
Purple Emperor Butterfly Bush
- Deciduous shrub with gray-green foliage and medium to deep purple flowers that attract butterflies
- Plant in rich, but well-drained soil; prune heavily in very early spring
- Water regularly until established; fertilize in spring
- Deadhead to reduce seedlings and prolong blooming
- Plant in full sun for best flowering
- Hardy in USDA zones 5-9:
Zone 5: Plant in spring to prevent winter heaving; plant in full sun; mulch heavily after first hard frost; avoid contact with salt; care for plant as herbaceous perennial and prune to the ground in early spring.
Zone 6: Plant in spring or early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Zones 7-9: Plant in early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
10 Unique Ideas for Wedding Guest Books 10 Photos
10 Mediterranean-Inspired Outdoor Spaces 10 Photos
DIY Weddings: Table Setting Ideas 8 Photos
6 Simple DIY Headboards 6 Photos
Guide to Creating a Country Kitchen 3 Photos
DIY Weddings: Menu Ideas and Recipes 11 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.