Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
More in Outdoors
Purple Emperor Butterfly Bush
- Deciduous shrub with gray-green foliage and medium to deep purple flowers that attract butterflies
- Plant in rich, but well-drained soil; prune heavily in very early spring
- Water regularly until established; fertilize in spring
- Deadhead to reduce seedlings and prolong blooming
- Plant in full sun for best flowering
- Hardy in USDA zones 5-9:
Zone 5: Plant in spring to prevent winter heaving; plant in full sun; mulch heavily after first hard frost; avoid contact with salt; care for plant as herbaceous perennial and prune to the ground in early spring.
Zone 6: Plant in spring or early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Zones 7-9: Plant in early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Prepping a Paver Patio Base (00:01:00)
How to Cut Pergola Rafters (00:46)
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
That '70s Kitchen (03:14)
Installing Siding (00:60)
Hardwood Floor Installation (00:04:10)
Hard-Partying Backyard (00:03:46)
Spa-Like Bathroom Renovation (03:22)
New Bathroom Sink Designs (01:56)
Recycling in the Garden (20:01)
Beautiful Bathroom Redos on a Budget 10 Photos
Top 10 DIY Dining Room Projects 10 Photos
10 Outdoor Rooms on a Budget 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.