Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
More in Outdoors
Gardener's Note: All Buddleia davidii are on watch lists for invasiveness and can't be shipped to several western states.
- Deciduous shrub with gray-green foliage and dark blue spike flowers that attract butterflies
- Plant in rich, but well-drained soil; prune heavily in very early spring
- This variety reaches 4 to 5 feet in height and will spread 3 to 4 feet
- Water regularly until established; fertilize in spring
- Deadhead to reduce seedlings and prolong blooming
- Plant in full sun for best flowering
- Hardy in USDA zones 5-9:
Zone 5: Plant in spring to prevent winter heaving; plant in full sun; mulch heavily after first hard frost; avoid contact with salt; care for plant as herbaceous perennial and prune to the ground in early spring.
Zone 6: Plant in spring or early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Zones 7-9: Plant in early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Work and Play in Divided Space (00:03:46)
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
Installing a Hardwood Floor (04:05)
How to Set Pergola Posts (01:24)
Pallet Chair (01:00)
Backyard Tropical Retreats (03:46)
Taking the Inside Out (02:55)
Embossed Ceiling Rosette (03:32)
Creating a Rain Barrel (01:02)
Spruce Up Your Entryway (00:01:00)
7 Budget Backsplash Projects 7 Photos
Blog Cabin 2014: On Site in Winter Haven 17 Photos
Colorful Bathroom Designs You'll Love 25 Photos
Pergola Pictures From Blog Cabin 2014 25 Photos
Front Yard Landscaping Ideas 9 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.