Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
More in Outdoors
Gardener's Note: All Buddleia davidii are on watch lists for invasiveness and can't be shipped to several western states.
- Deciduous shrub with gray-green foliage and dark blue spike flowers that attract butterflies
- Plant in rich, but well-drained soil; prune heavily in very early spring
- This variety reaches 4 to 5 feet in height and will spread 3 to 4 feet
- Water regularly until established; fertilize in spring
- Deadhead to reduce seedlings and prolong blooming
- Plant in full sun for best flowering
- Hardy in USDA zones 5-9:
Zone 5: Plant in spring to prevent winter heaving; plant in full sun; mulch heavily after first hard frost; avoid contact with salt; care for plant as herbaceous perennial and prune to the ground in early spring.
Zone 6: Plant in spring or early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Zones 7-9: Plant in early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Create a Custom Kitchen Island (00:01:00)
Installing Carpet on Stairs (05:24)
How to Build Floating Shelves (00:60)
Big Boy Budget Bedroom (03:58)
Latex Paint over Semigloss (01:26)
Handmade Jewelry (04:32)
Installing Pebble Flooring (00:01:00)
Windows- Part 1 (07:03)
Aspect Peel-and-Stick Tiles (00:01:39)
LED Glass Countertops (01:21)
Jimmie Johnson's Man Cave Gift 9 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.