Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
More in Outdoors
Gardener's Note: All Buddleia davidii are on watch lists for invasiveness and can't be shipped to several western states.
- Deciduous shrub with gray-green foliage and dark blue spike flowers that attract butterflies
- Plant in rich, but well-drained soil; prune heavily in very early spring
- This variety reaches 4 to 5 feet in height and will spread 3 to 4 feet
- Water regularly until established; fertilize in spring
- Deadhead to reduce seedlings and prolong blooming
- Plant in full sun for best flowering
- Hardy in USDA zones 5-9:
Zone 5: Plant in spring to prevent winter heaving; plant in full sun; mulch heavily after first hard frost; avoid contact with salt; care for plant as herbaceous perennial and prune to the ground in early spring.
Zone 6: Plant in spring or early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
Zones 7-9: Plant in early fall; plant in full sun; mulch in fall; care for plant as a deciduous shrub and prune heavily in late winter.
How to Install Wainscoting (12:40)
Bathroom Technology (01:00)
Install a Wood Parquet Floor (01:00)
Installing a Mantel on Stone (00:03:53)
Super Suite! (20:00)
Installing a Vessel Sink (01:00)
The Joy of Outdoor Kitchens (02:21)
Perfect Pitch for a Patio (01:25)
Applying Stucco to DIY Project (00:01:00)
Installing Sliding Glass Doors (00:01:00)
How To Make a Coffee Bean Backsplash 14 Photos
15 Romantic Bathroom Designs 15 Photos
How To Make a Corset T-Shirt Dress 8 Photos
How To Make a Classic Tulle Tutu 15 Photos
Setting up a Basic DIY Toolkit 26 Photos
Outdoor Kitchens and Grilling Spaces 29 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.