Knowing specific information about plants is important in order to care for them properly. The experts share how to care for each plant.
More in Outdoors
Cornus kousa var. Chinensis 'Milky Way' – Milky Way Dogwood
- Kousa is a good substitute for the native dogwood in many urban landscape situations. One reason is that it is resistant to the organism that causes dogwood anthracnose.
- Showy white flowers in late spring. The Milky Way Dogwood has an even greater flower and fruit production. The star-shaped flowers appear after the foliage and provide almost a 'milky way' effect.
- All dogwoods produce clusters of green fruit that eventually turn red — birds love the fruit, which resembles raspberries.
- Upright, vase-shaped when young, but branches start to branch out with age. The dark-green foliage turns red in the fall.
- Resists drought better than other dogwoods.
- Older bark develops an exfoliating character, revealing a mix of gray-tan and mahogany brown.
- Do not panic. The Kousa doesn't bloom for a couple of years after it's planted.
- Full sun to partial shade
- It can grow 20 to 30 feet high
- Zones 5 to 8
- It is considered a low-maintenance tree — water well until established, but do not overwater.
- These are trees — not shrubs— so no hard pruning is necessary. It may be desirable to remove — or limb up — some lower branches to reveal the bark.
- Prune when dormant.
Decked-Out Decks and Patios (20:00)
Install a Tile Floor (01:00)
HDMI Cables: Splurge or Skimp? (00:01:00)
Irregular Stone Floor (01:35)
The Law Job (20:00)
Family-Friendly Front Yard (00:03:52)
Installing a Security Light (01:02)
Load Bearing Wall Removal (01:47)
Cheap to Chic (20:00)
Custom Height Cabinets (01:39)
Bathroom Flooring Ideas 15 Photos
10 Designer Bathrooms Fit for Royalty 10 Photos
How To Build A Custom TV Lift 8 Photos
BATHtastic! Bathrooms from Matt Muenster 25 Photos
The Elements of a Great Outdoor Space 10 Photos
How to Add Outlets 8 Photos
10 Things You Must Know About Ponds 10 Photos
12 Amazing Outdoor Kitchens 12 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.