The third weekly winner is Michele Lewis of Hanover, NM, for her photos of a front yard that's nothing but bare dirt. Jason Cameron offers tips for turning this sad site into a beautiful front yard.
More in Outdoors
Jason Cameron's tips for Michele's front yard:
1. The first step to ending the desperation starts with the lattice across the front porch. Remove lattice panel, cut to size and reattach underneath the porch behind the porch framework. Stain lattice to match the porch framework, which will help make it blend in.
2. Purchase garden soil mix and raise the grade in front of the porch to cover the base stone. Create two planting beds on either side of the steps. Use drought-tolerant plants such as cup-leaf sage (Leucophylum zygophylum) or chaparral sage (Salvia clevelandii) to go across the front. Plant flowering groundcovers such as creeping rosemary(Rosmarinus officinalis 'Prostratus' and trailing lantana (Lantana montevidensis) on both sides of the steps. This will bring life to the area and visually reduce the height of the porch.
3. Remove the small lower branches of the tree to raise its canopy, and remove small branches inside the tree canopy. Together, this will allow filtered light to reach the porch and provide better views of the house.
4. Gather the small stones along the right of the steps and use to stop the erosion. Place the stones in the ditch and rake soil around stones. Re-grade the area, creating a gentle slope away from the house.
5. Finally, use granite fines mulch to cover the entire front area. The mulch will help to reduce future erosion and beautify the area.
As a weekly winner, Michele receives a $100 prize for GardenFun.com.
Building a Deck Bench (01:02)
Link Deck Tile System (00:01:46)
How to Build a Retaining Wall (05:56)
Add Shade With a Pergola (00:01:00)
Mediterranean Patio (20:01)
Kreg Jig K3 Master System (01:48)
Hardwood Moisture Damage (00:50)
Sitting Lodge (00:01:16)
Canal Brick Courtyard (20:00)
DIY Tire Swings (03:23)
Garden Water Features 12 Photos
Front Porch Ideas from Rate My Space 7 Photos
10 Wedding Shower Games and Activities 10 Photos
The Best Outdoor Rooms from Indoors Out 16 Photos
Garages Beyond the Ordinary 9 Photos
10 Things You Must Know About Ponds 10 Photos
© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.