Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Take a hands-off approach to barbecue chicken with this easy and delicious slow cooker recipe.
Busy schedules make creating tasty meals a challenge. Slow cooking solves this problem by doing all the work while you tackle other tasks. This slow cooker version of barbecue chicken is easy to prepare and gives you control over the ingredients to make a sauce suited to your tastes. You can adjust the spices as desired to get a "from scratch" flavor and have dinner on the table without all of the fuss.
- 2 punds chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Place all of the ingredients except for the chicken in the slow cooker. Whisk together until smooth.
- Remove the skin from the chicken pieces and toss them in the sauce. Arrange the chicken pieces to fit snugly in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours with the lid on.
- Toss the chicken lightly in the sauce again before serving. Serve whole pieces, or if desired, remove the meat from the bones and shred with fingers or forks. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.