Baking homemade snacks for your dog or cat is a fun way to show you care. Follow these simple recipes for dog biscuits and cat treats so you'll know exactly what your pet is eating.
By Karin BeuerleinMore in Kitchen
Peanut Butter and Bacon Biscuits
Michelle Johnson's website, DogTreatKitchen.com, is a comprehensive resource for making different types of dog treats, including recipes and tips. "I test out each finished treat on several dogs and if the consensus is that they don't care for it, I adjust the recipe until they do like it," she says.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cook bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
3. Pour the bacon grease into a glass measuring cup.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flax, wheat bran and baking powder.
5. Crumble the bacon, once cooled, and stir into the flour mixture.
6. In a microwave-safe bowl, warm the peanut butter approximately 30 seconds.
7. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Then pour in the peanut butter, water and bacon grease. Use a fork to whisk together the wet ingredients until completely combined.
8. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the peanut butter mixture.
9. Stir until combined.
10. Knead lightly in the bowl with your hands.
11. Lay down one large sheet of parchment paper, roll your dough onto it, then lay another piece of parchment on top. You'll essentially have a dog treat dough sandwich.
12. Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness.
13. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
14. Cut shapes out of the dough and place on your prepared baking sheet. Gather the extra dough, knead into a ball and repeat the process of rolling and cutting until there is no more dough.
15. Bake for 15 minutes.
16. Turn off the oven and leave the treats there to cool for two hours or overnight. Keep them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to six months.
Open House at the Dollar House (00:02:30)
Ceramic versus Porcelain Tile (02:30)
Cabinet Door Inserts (01:00)
Laminate Countertops (01:00)
Stylish Tile Porch Floor (00:05:21)
Espaliered Vine Disguises Wall (00:01:00)
Make Your Own Cedar Shutters (00:01:00)
Budget Laundry Room Makeover (00:04:12)
Warming Up With Earth Tones (03:12)
Painted Upholstery (02:00)
7 Budget Backsplash Projects 7 Photos
How to Host a Brunch Wedding Shower 28 Photos
How to Add Outlets 8 Photos
Container and Small-Space Gardening 10 Photos
Fantastic Bathroom Makeovers 20 Photos
Blog Cabin 2012: February Update 14 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.