Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
More in Kitchen
- When shopping for appliances, look for floor models. You're usually only giving up the box the item came in. Be sure to check with the dealer about the warranty. They might be willing to extend the warranty to unload the item.
- Shop in early fall for appliances. Last year's models need to go to make room for the next year's models.
- Shop scratch-and-dent appliance sales. Make sure the scratches are cosmetic and not structural.
- Ask for volume discounts, some places offer discounts if you buy all your appliances in one place.
- When shopping for windows and doors, don't just check the big box retailers, go to your local building supplier, (where your contractor shops). The savings can be up to 20 percent.
- Look for cabinet retailers or wholesalers that offer free design services such as measuring your kitchen and planning your layout.
- Go directly to the place that sells granite slabs. You can save 25 to 30 percent by cutting out the middle man.
Wood Install 101 (04:06)
Installing a Double Wall Oven (02:54)
Go Creative With Bath Flooring (00:01:00)
Mudroom- Part 1 (06:29)
Convert Wood Fireplace to Gas (00:01:00)
Whimsical Fence and Arbor (08:37)
Tiki Hut Bar (01:50)
DIY Portable Kitchen Cart (00:01:00)
How to Use a Gas Compactor (02:05)
Fish Net Craft Ideas (03:08)
Fantastic Bathroom Makeovers 20 Photos
How To Replace a Bathroom Light Fixture 11 Photos
The Most Commonly Used Landscaping Tools 12 Photos
Rock Landscaping Ideas 8 Photos
Nature's Garden Helpers 10 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.