Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
More in Kitchen
- When shopping for appliances, look for floor models. You're usually only giving up the box the item came in. Be sure to check with the dealer about the warranty. They might be willing to extend the warranty to unload the item.
- Shop in early fall for appliances. Last year's models need to go to make room for the next year's models.
- Shop scratch-and-dent appliance sales. Make sure the scratches are cosmetic and not structural.
- Ask for volume discounts, some places offer discounts if you buy all your appliances in one place.
- When shopping for windows and doors, don't just check the big box retailers, go to your local building supplier, (where your contractor shops). The savings can be up to 20 percent.
- Look for cabinet retailers or wholesalers that offer free design services such as measuring your kitchen and planning your layout.
- Go directly to the place that sells granite slabs. You can save 25 to 30 percent by cutting out the middle man.
Flooring Transition Strips (03:26)
Front-Porch Bench (01:47)
Adding a Barrel Vault Ceiling (00:01:00)
Dishwasher Panel Switcheroo (03:10)
Arts and Crafts Window Trim (03:11)
Build a Wood-Plank Backsplash (00:01:00)
Installing Bathroom Speakers (00:01:00)
Stacked Wire Cuff (05:03)
Installing a GFCI Outlet (05:32)
Bathroom Rehab to Impress (03:46)
Design Tips for Beautiful Pergolas 16 Photos
Extraordinary Garage Makeovers 9 Photos
Outdoor Kitchen Ideas 26 Photos
Front Yard Landscaping Ideas 9 Photos
Cottage-Style Landscapes and Gardens 15 Photos
How to Countersink a Screw 4 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.