Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
More in Kitchen
You can save a lot of money on your remodel by installing the kitchen cabinets yourself. Allow plenty of time for the job done and get some friends to help.
Tips for Hanging Cabinets:
- Remove all cabinet doors and drawers to make them easier to install and to avoid damaging them during installation.
- You'll need a pencil, tape measure and level to mark the exact position of the cabinets on the walls.
- It is easier to install the upper cabinets first, starting in the corner(s).
- To install upper cabinets, determine their location in relation to the base cabinets. Add the height of the base cabinet to the thickness of your countertop (base cabinets are usually 34-1/2 tall and countertops are usually 1-1/2 inches thick.) Then add 18 inches for the space in between the upper and lower cabinets. Your total should be about 54 inches. This is where the bottom of the upper cabinet will sit.
If the floor isn't level, find the highest point along the wall where the cabinets will be installed. Mark a chalk line across the wall then attach a 2x4 ledger into the wall studs to help support the cabinets while installing.
- Cut holes for the water lines on the back of the cabinet.
If cutouts are needed for electrical boxes, trace the box with lipstick then hold the cabinet in the correct place and press firmly. The lipstick will transfer to the cabinet. Connect the lines, drill a pilot hole and make the cut-out with a jig saw.
- Make sure you fasten the cabinets to wall studs. If a cabinet hits only one stud, use a toggle bolt to help keep it secure.
- When hanging cabinets, check frequently for plumb and levelness. Don't fully tighten the screws until the cabinets are plumb, flush and level. Use shims to help achieve evenness.
- Use clamps to hold together cabinets while securing to wall.
How to Make Hanging Halloween Ghosts 11 Photos
Blog Cabin 2013: Before the Renovation 99 Photos
Blog Cabin 2014: On Site in Winter Haven 17 Photos
13 Elegant Iron Staircases 13 Photos
Kitchen Color Design Ideas 18 Photos
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.