By Emily AndersonMore in Home Improvement
Pencil or felt marker
TIP: Before redoing a garage, make a plan.
1. Pack up things you don’t want and donate them to charity.
2. Fold seats flat for extra cargo space; protect interior with drop cloths or plastic.
3. Divide storage items into categories: tools, sports equipment, automotive and gardening supplies.
4. Research storage systems online.
TIP: Print digital photos of garage interior and sketch in possible systems.
5. Make shopping list so you can get everything on way back from donation center.
6. Paint walls with exterior paint.
TIP: In unheated garage, exterior paint lasts longer and is easier to clean than interior paint.
7. Place tools and materials where you will need them in garage.
8. Hang specialty racks for garden tools.
9. Secure tracks for shelving, hooks, and baskets to wall studs; you can move them as needed.
10. Anchor ceiling shelves in joists.
TIP: To locate edges of joists, tap in finishing nail.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.