Helpful tips on using a hammer from DIY expert Paul Ryan.
1. If you have to attach some fence pickets to horizontal boards, to prevent excessive vibration, consider using a big sledgehammer. Simply start the nail by tapping it with a regular hammer, and then place the sledgehammer behind the 2x4 to absorb the blow and to stop the vibrating.
2. If you have to do a lot of repetitive even-space nailing, for example, putting on a sub-floor with an evenly spaced frame, lay out your hammer and measure the distance needed with a tape measure. Simply mark the distance on the hammer with tape, and you have an automatic measuring device.
3. If you're putting up some crown molding, you know what a hassle it can be to pound in the nails, which can cause some dents in the molding if you miss. Instead, why not use some pegboard to prevent the damage. Simply start the nail gently, place the small piece of pegboard over the nail and then finish the job. No need to worry about dinging the molding because the pegboard acts as a perfect shield.
Choosing the right hammer is essential to protect the work piece, the hammer and the user. Use this guide to see which hammers work best for specific projects.
Hammers and Nails
No matter what the project, choosing the right hammers and nails is essential. This guide makes it easy to pick the right tools for any job.
Tips on Using Cutting Guides
Cutting a long piece of wood can be difficult unless you have a great tool to assist you. Check out these guides that can make getting the perfect cut easy.
Tips and Tricks for Accurately Cutting Drywall
Learn the pro tips for properly cutting and fitting drywall.
Tips on Using a Spokeshave
Spokeshaves can be used to shape chair spindles and round surfaces. Use these tips to make the most effective cuts.
Tips on Choosing and Using Caulk Guns
Our DIY experts offer tips on a variety of caulk guns and a foam dispenser, making it easy to choose the right tool for any job.
Tips on Choosing Wrenches
Wrenches are basic tools for every workshop, and different kinds are designed for specific jobs. Here are some tips for choosing the right wrench.
Host David Thiel explains how Combi-hammers are used for drilling and chiseling in concrete.
Extension Cord Tips
A durable three-pronged extension cord is essential for any workshop. Here are a few extension cords and accessories available on the market.
These tips and tricks for using sandpaper will help keep any project running smoothly.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials