Helpful tips on using a hammer from DIY expert Paul Ryan.
1. If you have to attach some fence pickets to horizontal boards, to prevent excessive vibration, consider using a big sledgehammer. Simply start the nail by tapping it with a regular hammer, and then place the sledgehammer behind the 2x4 to absorb the blow and to stop the vibrating.
2. If you have to do a lot of repetitive even-space nailing, for example, putting on a sub-floor with an evenly spaced frame, lay out your hammer and measure the distance needed with a tape measure. Simply mark the distance on the hammer with tape, and you have an automatic measuring device.
3. If you're putting up some crown molding, you know what a hassle it can be to pound in the nails, which can cause some dents in the molding if you miss. Instead, why not use some pegboard to prevent the damage. Simply start the nail gently, place the small piece of pegboard over the nail and then finish the job. No need to worry about dinging the molding because the pegboard acts as a perfect shield.
Rotary tools accept a variety of attachments, which enable the handheld tool to be used for sanding, polishing, carving and more. Find out which attachment you need to help get the job done.
Host David Thiel explains what to look for when buying a pneumatic nailer.
A scroll-saw can be used for everything from making intricate puzzle pieces to cutting through metal pipe.
Essential Workshop Handtools
Check out this list of essential hand-tools that should be found in any basic workshop.
Tips on Repairing a Drill
Repairing a drill can be an exhausting and complicated task, and it's not for beginners. Here are a few tips for tool experts on how to repair drills.
How to Set Up Ladders as Scaffolding and Renting Access Equipment
Learn the correct way to use a ladder and how to use two ladders as a platform. Also, find out the different types of access equipment that can be rented.
Stationary Power Tool Tips
There are three crucial pieces of equipment in a woodshop: the jointer, table saw and the band saw. Check out tips and advice on using and placing these core power tools.
Buying Guide For Secondhand Tools
Secondhand tools can save you money without sacrificing quality. Learn how to find bargains on used, but useful tools.
Solutions to Common Table Saw Problems
Use this expert advice to make cutting with a table saw a bit easier.
Tips for Using a Log Splitter
A log splitter can be a very useful tool for cutting firewood, or cleaning up from having a tree cut. Check out these helpful tips and information on using a motorized log splitter.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables