Plumbing and Cleaning Tips
Take a look at these helpful tips for those accomplishing those home DIY projects.
- Sometimes a coat hanger will clear a drain when a plumbing snake isn't available. Straighten the metal, bend a small hook in the end with pliers, and poke it in and out of the drain as far as it will go.
- A 2-liter soda bottle makes an excellent adjustable air pillow to keep your head clean and neck comfortable when working under cabinets and in difficult positions.
- An afghan hook, available at knitting and fabric stores, is the perfect tool for removing hair and other debris from a tub drain with a cover that is tough or impossible to remove.
- If you're stuck in a bind without your favorite penetrating oil, try lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide or kerosene to cut through rust and corrosion.
- A cracked plastic bucket can be repaired with a hot table knife. Heat the knife with a candle and press it against the crack rubbing slowly back and forth until it is sealed.
- Toothpaste applied with a damp rag will put the shine back on your hand tools. For really tough deposits, try oven cleaner.
Ed the Plumber offers tips on the tools needed to make a plumber's emergency kit and what to do during plumbing emergencies.
Plumbing is an important part of a healthy home. Use this advice to keep your home's plumbing safe for your family.
Find tips, techniques and recipes for keeping leather in top shape.
Leather is a popular choice in furniture, car interiors, clothes and accessories. Along with the cozy leather sofa and great shoes, comes the frustration of keeping them clean.
Occasionally challenges such as clogs or leaks arise which a do-it-yourselfer would like to remedy quickly. Specific tools are necessary for these types of repairs.
You don't need to know everything about plumbing, but it's important to understand the basics, especially when it comes to leaks.
Cleaning and maintaining a fireplace can be a DIY job, but before the chimney is cleaned, key areas must be checked. Use these tips to ensure fireplace and chimney safety.
Keep rain gutters clean and unclogged to prevent damage to your home's roof and exterior.
Get expert tips, techniques and recipes for cleaning all types of floors, from ceramic tile to hardwood.