Plumbing and Cleaning Tips
Take a look at these helpful tips for those accomplishing those home DIY projects.
- Sometimes a coat hanger will clear a drain when a plumbing snake isn't available. Straighten the metal, bend a small hook in the end with pliers, and poke it in and out of the drain as far as it will go.
- A 2-liter soda bottle makes an excellent adjustable air pillow to keep your head clean and neck comfortable when working under cabinets and in difficult positions.
- An afghan hook, available at knitting and fabric stores, is the perfect tool for removing hair and other debris from a tub drain with a cover that is tough or impossible to remove.
- If you're stuck in a bind without your favorite penetrating oil, try lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide or kerosene to cut through rust and corrosion.
- A cracked plastic bucket can be repaired with a hot table knife. Heat the knife with a candle and press it against the crack rubbing slowly back and forth until it is sealed.
- Toothpaste applied with a damp rag will put the shine back on your hand tools. For really tough deposits, try oven cleaner.
Tips on Determining Hard Water
Too much of the same mineral will lead to hard water. Not only can the water smell and taste bad, it can also damage appliances. Here are a few tips to find out for sure if a home has hard water.
10 Pro Tips to Get Cleaning Done Fast
Professional cleaners share their secrets to getting cleaning chores done fast and efficiently.
Laundry Care: How to Remove Tough Stains
Learn the six secrets to getting rid of stains caused by wine, coffee, makeup and more.
Tips on Organizing and Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
The Queen of Clean, Linda Cobb, reveals tips for cleaning and organizing kitchen cabinets.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
Tips on Replacing a Sagging Pipe Under the Floor
When dealing with extensive plumbing problems, it's important to consult a professional to ensure proper repairs and safety measures. But here are a few tips to help DIYers replace sagging pipes.
Get to Know Your Home's Electrical System
If you're building or remodeling, check out this expert advice on planning your home's electrical system.
The Most-Efficient, Easiest Way to Clean Your Bathroom
Learn how to make quick work out of cleaning your bathroom, and get tips on the best solutions to use on fixtures, faucets and walls.
Tips on Installing a Sprinkler System
Before you begin installing an irrigation system, keep in mind that a lot of planning is going to be involved. Use these tips to make your installation go smoothly.
Carpet Maintenance 101 in Four Easy Tips
Use these simple tips to keep your carpet looking good for years to come.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables