Plumbing and Cleaning Tips
Take a look at these helpful tips for those accomplishing those home DIY projects.
- Sometimes a coat hanger will clear a drain when a plumbing snake isn't available. Straighten the metal, bend a small hook in the end with pliers, and poke it in and out of the drain as far as it will go.
- A 2-liter soda bottle makes an excellent adjustable air pillow to keep your head clean and neck comfortable when working under cabinets and in difficult positions.
- An afghan hook, available at knitting and fabric stores, is the perfect tool for removing hair and other debris from a tub drain with a cover that is tough or impossible to remove.
- If you're stuck in a bind without your favorite penetrating oil, try lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide or kerosene to cut through rust and corrosion.
- A cracked plastic bucket can be repaired with a hot table knife. Heat the knife with a candle and press it against the crack rubbing slowly back and forth until it is sealed.
- Toothpaste applied with a damp rag will put the shine back on your hand tools. For really tough deposits, try oven cleaner.
Tips on Determining Hard Water
Too much of the same mineral will lead to hard water. Not only can the water smell and taste bad, it can also damage appliances. Here are a few tips to find out for sure if a home has hard water.
Basic Pipe Tips
The plumbing system in your home is simpler than you might think. Find straightforward information about pipes, fittings and the fundamentals of plumbing repair.
Plumbing Emergency Tips
Ed the Plumber offers tips on the tools needed to make a plumber's emergency kit and what to do during plumbing emergencies.
10 Pro Tips to Get Cleaning Done Fast
Professional cleaners share their secrets to getting cleaning chores done fast and efficiently.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
Tips on Replacing a Sagging Pipe Under the Floor
When dealing with extensive plumbing problems, it's important to consult a professional to ensure proper repairs and safety measures. But here are a few tips to help DIYers replace sagging pipes.
HVAC: Home Tips
Use these maintenance tips to help keep your air conditioning unit running efficiently.
Some things need to be cleaned every day: other jobs need to be done only once a year. Try marking a calendar to remember when the yearly cleaning ritual should be performed.
Tips for Calculating Wasted Water
Determine how much water could be saved in a home with these basic tips for calculating wasted water.
Pressure Washer Tips
Discover tips and general information on using a pressure washer to clean a deck and other surfaces around the home.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art