Tips on Painting Furniture
Learn these tips on painting furniture to ensure that your next furniture painting project is a success.
Painting walls is one thing, but there are a few different measures you need to take in order to ensure that your furniture-painting project is successful.
- It is best to prime all painting surfaces to prevent stains from bleeding through the new paint.
- Primer must match the type of paint you have chosen. For furniture it's best to use a satin or semigloss finish in either a latex or an oil-based paint. Never leave primer unpainted.
- If you choose a latex paint, a latex primer is an excellent choice for most uses. It goes on easily and blocks most stains, but it doesn't have the odor of an oil-based primer.
- Although you can use oil-based primers with latex paints, you must use an oil-based primer with oil-based paints. Oil-based primers offer superior adhesion and stain blocking, but they do have a strong odor. When using oil-based primers and paints, make sure you have good room ventilation.
- When you're painting, start at the top and work down, smoothing paint drips as you work downward.
Expert Painting Tips: Latex paint comes in a variety of sheens, including flat, low sheen or satin, semigloss acrylic latex and oil-based enamel. Oil-based paint can be used for both exterior painting and interior trim work; it's also very durable and easy to clean.
Tips on Staining Wood
Follow this advice on how to properly stain wood furniture.
Simple Tips for Saving Energy
These ideas for conserving energy throughout your home will help you cut back on costly heating bills.
Plumbing Emergency Tips
Ed the Plumber offers tips on the tools needed to make a plumber's emergency kit and what to do during plumbing emergencies.
HVAC: Home Tips
These maintenance tips will help homeowners keep their air conditioning units running efficiently.
Tips on Using Paint Sprayers or Paint Guns
Paint sprayers can save a lot of time when painting large contoured areas. Learn these tips on using paint sprayers from DIY Network.
Six Tips to Light Up Your Kitchen
Give potential homebuyers a fresh look at your kitchen with a combination of new ambient, task and decorative lighting.
DIY Money-Saving Kitchen Remodeling Tips
Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
Tips on Choosing and Using Filler Compounds
Choosing a filler compound depends on what type of surface needs to be filled. Use this guide to filler compounds to pick the best one for the job.
Insulation Tips and Tricks
Money-saving hints for improving insulation in your home.
Tips on Solving Common Toilet Problems
Master plumber Ed Del Grande explains how even the average homeowner can easily fix common toilet problems.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables
- Flowers and Shrubs That Bloom in Late Winter and Early Spring