Textured Wall Paint
Learn how to add dimension to your walls.
If you've ever thought about changing the look of the walls in your home and want something different than just a coat of paint, DIY's "Decorating Made Easy" expert, Leslie Neblett, recommends adding a textured look to your walls.
- The technique is called combing. It's a little different from the sponging technique that's also popular. Both give a textured look to your walls but combing is easier. The reason the combing technique is easier is because your base coat is completely dry and you're only working with over coat or glaze. Apply a thin layer of glaze to the wall and drag or "comb" a special brush through the glaze creating the desired pattern.
- Again, the base coat is totally dry. Start by applying a thin coat of glaze over the base coat. Once the area you're working is covered with glaze, follow with a few more light strokes of the roller to make sure the glaze is evenly distributed. Begin at the top and drag the combing tool from top to bottom with a firm stroke. You can also drag the combing tool from left to right.
- Every time you make a pass through the glaze you will have to wipe the combing tool using a lint free rag. This will assure a more even stroke with each pass.
Note: If you want to change the pattern, simply use the roller and apply another thin layer of glaze over the wall.
All About Green Paints and Finishes
Green paint, or eco-friendly paint, is becoming a popular option for home decorating because it doesn't contain harmful VOCs. Check out the different types of natural paint to help you choose the best one.
All About the Types of Paint and Finish
Learn what types of paints and finishes can be used on a variety of different surfaces.
Interior Painting Tips
Learn tips before you buy, how to prep, the essential tools and clean-up tricks.
Sanding Drywall: Prepping For Paint
Learn the best techniques for sanding drywall.
How to Prepare Walls for Painting
The key to a successful paint job is in the prep. Learn how to remove wallpaper, strip wood and patch walls to get them ready for a new coat of paint.
Tips for Choosing the Right Paint Finish
Paints come in a variety of finishes: flat, eggshell, semigloss, satin and high gloss. Learn tips on how to choose the best finish for your painting project.
How to achieve a crackle finish by applying a base coat and glue, then finishing with another color on top.
Tips and Tricks for Creating Wall Murals in a Kid's Room
Murals are one of the most popular design elements for children’s bedrooms, playrooms and nurseries. Find out what you need to know whether you plan on DIYing or hiring a pro.
Tips on Painting Furniture
Learn these tips on painting furniture to ensure that your next furniture painting project is a success.
Painting Prep: The Key to Success
Preparation and planning are key to a good paint finish. Check out the most efficient ways to paint to get the job done in no time.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art