1. If ceiling is next to roof, install skylights.
2. If ceiling is not against roof, run solar tube through attic.
3. Add layers of natural-looking light.
4. Use different kinds of LED fixtures to divide room into series of spaces.
5. Install recessed flood lights for ambient lighting.
6. Bring in torchières to bounce light off ceiling and back into room.
7. Use table lamps to create pools of light.
LED bulbs or low emitting diodes provide warm light of incandescents; use up to 85% less energy; and can last up to 25,000 hours.
Torchière is tall lamp with open bowl and no shade; 75W to 100W bulbs work best in these lamps.