Learn some basic information about wood fillers and related products for your DIY projects.
- One of the most useful products for simple wood-repairs is a simple wood-filler. Once dry, this filler can be sanded and painted.
- For a nice wood project, solvent-based wood patches or fillers are recommended. Some of these products are made with actual wood material, so they stain like real wood.
- If you're going to be staining your project, make sure that the filler you use states on the label that it is stainable. Some fillers, though not stainable, are pre-tinted so you can select one that matches the wood you're working with.
- For larger holes or gouges, you may need to used one of the plastic-based fillers. For replacing a section that has rotted, use a rotted-wood stabilizer.
- Aside from wood fillers, you'll need to decide what type of wood-stain to use. Oil-based stains provide a great look, but cleanup can be messy. Water-based stains are simpler to use, but are typically not as durable as oil-based.
- Gel-stains are a good choice for beginner projects as they are relatively simple to use and forgiving in their application.
- For small touch-ups, consider using a wood-finish pen.
- Choose a product based on the type of project.
- Use wood filler for large holes.
- Use stain pens for small touch-ups.
Tips on Choosing and Using Filler Compounds
Choosing a filler compound depends on what type of surface needs to be filled. Use this guide to filler compounds to pick the best one for the job.
The Basics Of Nontoxic Finishes
Follow these tips to apply nontoxic finishes to wood.
Stick and Seal: The Basics of Adhesives, Glue and Caulk
Home improvement and hardware stores carry such a large variety of caulks and adhesives, it can often get confusing. Learn what to use for all your projects, repairs and fillers.
How to Prep Weathered Wood for Painting
With proper prep work, even damaged and weathered wood can be given new life with a fresh coat of paint.
Quick Fixes for Broken Furniture
Furniture inevitably breaks sometimes. Follow these tips for giving pieces a quick fix.
Woodworking FAQ: Clear Finishes
Learn how to choose and use wood stains and clear protective finishes.
Vanilla Ice Goes Amish Featured Products
Find out more about the products featured in DIY Network's series Vanilla Ice Goes Amish.
Gas Fireplace Basics
Gas fireplaces are a great way to add warmth and comfort to a space. Much like wall furnaces, gas fireplaces come on and off with a wall switch and can be controlled by a remote.
Carpet Basics: Durability and Judging Quality
Here are some general terms for understanding how carpet is made and how to judge carpet quality.
Simple Home Repairs
Nagging little problems are the bane of every homeowner's existence, and the professionals charge big bucks for repairs. Here are some fast fixes you can do yourself.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials