Walls and Refinishing
Useful tips for DIYers on walls and refinishing.
- A humidfier can help keep your house clean when you're sanding drywall. Place it in the room as you're working and the moist air will help dust settle before it spreads throughout the house.
- A disappearing-ink fabric marker will allow you to temporarily mark stud locations and picture heights.
- Control drywall-screw depth with a piece of 3/8-inch inside diameter hose. Slide a short section over your screw guide so that 1/4-inch of the bit is exposed, and the "depth controller" will prevent screws from being driven too deep.
- The next time you get stuck with a tough refinishing job, try removing the splinter with a piece of adhesive tape.
- Cut a short section of PVC pipe in half and add a piece of adhesive-backed sandpaper for a curved sanding block that will come in handy on many refinishing projects.
- Mix wood fillers together in a plastic bag and you'll prevent the mixture from drying out before you get a perfect color match. When you're ready, just cut a hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze out what you need.
Closing Up the Walls: Hanging Drywall
As Home IQ follows the Obergs' home construction process, the homeowners take a walk through the house to make sure various facets are in the right place. Also, building scientist Glenn Cottrell explains drywalling.
Tips for Refinishing Wooden Outdoor Furniture
Outdoor wood furniture can be a beautiful addition to any outdoor space, but it requires regular upkeep. Use these tips to care for your wood furniture and keep it looking its best.
Everything You Need to Know About Walls
Host Jeff Wilson explains how exterior and interior walls are constructed in a new home.
Host Jeff Wilson explains that exterior walls comprise what is known as the building envelope, which defines the exterior structure of your home.
Sanding Drywall: Prepping For Paint
Learn the best techniques for sanding drywall.
8 Essential Wood Refinishing Tools and Supplies
A refinishing expert provides the lowdown on the basic products you'll need for your next refinishing project.
Host Jeff Wilson explains how interior walls form the rooms and spaces inside the house, and how framers use the blueprint to see where the interior walls will go.
How to Tell If Wood Furniture Is Worth Refinishing
Is that flea market find worth your time and elbow grease? Our expert helps you decide.
Hire a Floor Refinisher
When hiring a refinisher there are issues you'll want to keep in mind: the cost involved, the types of available top coats and what the job entails.
How to Repair and Refinish Laminate Countertops
Learn how to repair scratches, gouges and chips; plus get the lowdown on paints and refinishing kits made to transform old countertops.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- How to Compost Leaves
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Cloches and Cold Frames
- Make a Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
- Fall Decorating for the Front Yard
- Autumn Maintenance Tips