Walls and Refinishing
Useful tips for DIYers on walls and refinishing.
- A humidfier can help keep your house clean when you're sanding drywall. Place it in the room as you're working and the moist air will help dust settle before it spreads throughout the house.
- A disappearing-ink fabric marker will allow you to temporarily mark stud locations and picture heights.
- Control drywall-screw depth with a piece of 3/8-inch inside diameter hose. Slide a short section over your screw guide so that 1/4-inch of the bit is exposed, and the "depth controller" will prevent screws from being driven too deep.
- The next time you get stuck with a tough refinishing job, try removing the splinter with a piece of adhesive tape.
- Cut a short section of PVC pipe in half and add a piece of adhesive-backed sandpaper for a curved sanding block that will come in handy on many refinishing projects.
- Mix wood fillers together in a plastic bag and you'll prevent the mixture from drying out before you get a perfect color match. When you're ready, just cut a hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze out what you need.
Closing Up the Walls: Hanging Drywall
As Home IQ follows the Obergs' home construction process, the homeowners take a walk through the house to make sure various facets are in the right place. Also, building scientist Glenn Cottrell explains drywalling.
Everything You Need to Know About Walls
Host Jeff Wilson explains how exterior and interior walls are constructed in a new home.
How to Tell If Wood Furniture Is Worth Refinishing
Is that flea market find worth your time and elbow grease? Our expert helps you decide.
How to Close Off a Doorway and Turn It Into a Solid Wall
Learn how to remove a doorway in a stud or masonry wall.
How to Prepare Walls for Painting
The key to a successful paint job is in the prep. Learn how to remove wallpaper, strip wood and patch walls to get them ready for a new coat of paint.
How to Refinish a Vintage Midcentury Modern Chair
Iconic midcentury furniture is known for its high-quality construction, use of beautiful woods and great modern design. Learn what to look for when buying a vintage piece and how to properly refurbish it.
How to Repair and Refinish Laminate Countertops
Learn how to repair scratches, gouges and chips; plus get the lowdown on paints and refinishing kits made to transform old countertops.
The Art of Refinishing Bathroom Fixtures
Fixing up your old bathroom fixtures can cost hundreds less than full-out replacing them, whether you do it yourself or hire a pro.
How to Tell If Metal Furniture and Decor Is Worth Refinishing
Should you spruce up those rusty old pieces or simply buy new? Our expert has the answers.
Components of a House Frame
Learn about the different components that make up typical house framing.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Unusual Summer Perennials
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes