Learn the Basics About Baseboard Joints
Here's a quick primer on the different types of joints that can be created when installing baseboards.
- Butt joint: A simple 90-degree joint best used when the new baseboard will die directly into a door casing.
- Miter joint: Outside corner
- Coped joint: Inside corner joint. One piece will go directly into the corner as a butt joint (flush against wall). The intersecting piece will be cut at a 45-degree angle. The profile along the cut will be coped with a coping saw to allow the piece to fit snugly against the butt joint and form a nice inside corner.
- Scarf joint: A joint in the center of the wall where the two pieces meet. Cut to 45-degrees.
All About Molding and Decorative Woodwork
Learn about the different types of wood moldings and baseboard.
Learn the Basics About Home Insulation
Insulation is critical to managing your utility bills and keeping you and your family comfortable.
All About Moldings
Learn about the different types of molding and how to use them in your home.
This rotating self-leveling laser light is a great tool when working in a large room. The helpful light makes it easy to install molding or a chair rail.
Learn how insulation works and why it's so important for your home with our expert overview.
Tips for Installing Insulation and Drywall
Learn about the different types of insulation and how to prep for drywall installation.
Gas Fireplace Basics
Gas fireplaces are a great way to add warmth and comfort to a space. Much like wall furnaces, gas fireplaces come on and off with a wall switch and can be controlled by a remote.
Skylight Installation Tips
Is your kitchen or bath dark and dreary? A skylight will not only brighten up the room, but also add an architectural element that is sure to impress.
Closing Up the Walls: Hanging Drywall
As Home IQ follows the Obergs' home construction process, the homeowners take a walk through the house to make sure various facets are in the right place. Also, building scientist Glenn Cottrell explains drywalling.
Components of a House Frame
Learn about the different components that make up typical house framing.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials