Basic Types of Kitchen Lighting
Tips on the three types of lighting most commonly found in kitchens.
1. General illumination maintains a specific light level in a room; in a kitchen such illumination may include recessed and over-cabinet lighting. Incandescent lights, which tend to be more yellow, and fluorescent lights, which are whiter, are good types of general lighting.
2. Highlighting and accenting brings the light level up to about three times the general illumination level in order to point up a specific feature, such as a decorative range hood, carved cabinet doors, etc. Toe-space lighting, a good example of this type of lighting, makes cabinets appear to float above the floor; and over-cabinet lighting makes cabinets look higher by expanding the space above them.
3. Task lighting provides illumination for specific tasks, such as cooking, reading, etc. It can be located on the wall above the work area or under the cabinets above the area.
Under-Cabinet Lighting Choices
When it comes to under-cabinet kitchen lighting, there are lots of options. James Young – licensed contractor and licensed electrician – discusses the particulars of kitchen task lighting.
Kitchen Lighting Tips
Choose the right type of kitchen lighting with these tips.
A Look at Different Types of Lighting
There are many types of lighting that can be used in various rooms of the home or office.
Six Tips to Light Up Your Kitchen
Give potential homebuyers a fresh look at your kitchen with a combination of new ambient, task and decorative lighting.
Kitchen Lighting: Brilliance on a Budget
These tips for low-cost kitchen lighting are kind to your wallet and keep your kitchen shining in style.
Essentials of a well-lit space
Layer the Lighting in Your Zen Bathroom
Achieve balance and symmetry by choosing a variety of lighting sources for your Zen-inspired bathroom.
Decorative Lights for the Holidays
See the different kinds of lights people use to make their homes a Christmas wonderland.
Bright Idea: Home Lighting
Don't underestimate the transformative power of good lighting. Learn about ambient, accent and task options.
Kitchen Lighting and Flooring
Two of the most important elements in any kitchen are good lighting and flooring. Our experts share the different options for both.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art