Basic Types of Kitchen Lighting
Tips on the three types of lighting most commonly found in kitchens.
1. General illumination maintains a specific light level in a room; in a kitchen such illumination may include recessed and over-cabinet lighting. Incandescent lights, which tend to be more yellow, and fluorescent lights, which are whiter, are good types of general lighting.
2. Highlighting and accenting brings the light level up to about three times the general illumination level in order to point up a specific feature, such as a decorative range hood, carved cabinet doors, etc. Toe-space lighting, a good example of this type of lighting, makes cabinets appear to float above the floor; and over-cabinet lighting makes cabinets look higher by expanding the space above them.
3. Task lighting provides illumination for specific tasks, such as cooking, reading, etc. It can be located on the wall above the work area or under the cabinets above the area.
Kitchen Lighting Tips
Choose the right type of kitchen lighting with these tips.
Layer the Lighting in Your Zen Bathroom
Achieve balance and symmetry by choosing a variety of lighting sources for your Zen-inspired bathroom.
Six Tips to Light Up Your Kitchen
Give potential homebuyers a fresh look at your kitchen with a combination of new ambient, task and decorative lighting.
Spark Some Romance in Any Room With a Chandelier
Looking for a light fixture that makes a statement and creates a mood? Consider a chandelier for any and every room of your home.
Tips for Kitchen Lighting
A lighting plan should be an integral part of a kitchen remodel. Here are some of the main factors to consider.
Indoor Lighting for the Holidays
Experts offer a few ideas for using lights to decorate the home for the holidays.
Kitchen Lighting: Brilliance on a Budget
These tips for low-cost kitchen lighting are kind to your wallet and keep your kitchen shining in style.
Types of Outdoor Lighting
Lighting down the garden simply adds an extra dimension to your enjoyment of the outdoor space. It helps to show visitors the way to your front door after dark and is an excellent burglar deterrent.
Learn how to light up your home, add curb appeal to the front yard or turn your backyard into evening entertaining space.
Under-Cabinet Lighting Choices
When it comes to under-cabinet lighting, there are lots of options out there these days. DIY Network home repair expert James Young discusses some you might want to consider.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables
- Flowers and Shrubs That Bloom in Late Winter and Early Spring