Architectural Details Make the Difference
No matter what period your kitchen, architectural details can add authenticity and style.
Architect Keith Malcolm Brown is an expert for adding architectural details in the kitchen. The possibilities are endless, he says, whether the entire room is done with period details, or a few are chosen as focal points for a more traditional or eclectic room. Here, his tips:
1. The three most prominent ways of adding period detail in a kitchen are with the cabinets, molding and cornices. Beadboard wainscoting is a charming, inexpensive way to add architectural charm.
2. When adding details, first determine in what period the rest of the house is designed, and let that be a guide. For example, the Colonial period usually uses simple, narrow moldings, while Regency and Federal periods use wider, more elaborate moldings.
3. The challenge of designing a kitchen in a period style is combining the historical look with modern functionality. Often, modern appliances can be hidden behind cupboard doors to maintain an authentic period look.
4. New manufacturing techniques have made it easier and more cost effective to add architectural details, which can be either custom or mass produced. Fiberglass, plastic and urethane for moldings, cornices, decorate ceiling plates, etc., give a period look that will last and resist rot. A tin ceiling can bring a touch of Victoria to any kitchen.
Think Outside the Triangle
From work zones to feng shui, our experts weigh in on the latest trends in kitchen design.
9 Hot Trends for Today's Kitchens
Check out the latest design trends from Asian Fusion and organic to high tech.
How to Avoid the Biggest Kitchen Mistakes
Professional designers have all "been there done that" and are more than glad to share their advice on how to avoid the most common kitchen mistakes.
Kitchen Heads Toward the New Millennium
The kitchens of the 1980s and 1990s were suddenly high on style, and it wasn't always good. But in the 21st century we're getting back to good design.
Creating a Cozy Guest Room
Follow these tips for turning a typical guest room into an elegant hideaway.
Kitchen Design Ideas: An Interview With Johnny Grey
Find out about the latest trends in kitchen design -- from soft geometry to the sociable kitchen -- in this interview with a designer great.
A Bathroom That Lets Kids Do It Themselves
Designing a children's bath means more than just fun decor. Use technology to turn a child-challenged bathroom into one that encourages children to be independent.
Living in the Kitchen 'Great Room'
As families congregate more and more in their kitchens, the traditional living room may soon be replaced by the kitchen "great room."
Choose Natural Colors for Your Zen Bathroom
When creating your Zen bathroom, choose colors that harmonize with nature.
Discover the Latest Kitchen Color Trends
Get expert advice on what's new, what's hot and what's not in kitchen colors.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables