Get Rid of Carpet Stains
Cleaning expert Jeff Campbell shares how to get common stains out of carpet.
- Two common mistakes when addressing a carpet stain are not acting quickly enough and only blotting the stain once. A good thing to keep in mind is to treat a stain as if it was in an article of clothing — not carpet.
- A red-wine stain — the mother of all stains — needs immediate attention. Blot immediately with paper towels. Repeat several times. Apply a good amount of heavy-duty kitchen cleaner and blot again. Repeat this step several times and, if results are still not forthcoming, scrub the area lightly with a toothbrush, then blot. The final step is to wet it down with cleaner one last time, lay several paper towels over the stain, then set some heavy books on the towels and leave overnight.
- Grease on carpet requires a solvent, which can be rubbing alcohol, paint thinner or lighter fluid, for instance. Make sure to test the solvent in an inconspicuous place before applying to the stain (the closet is a good place). Blot with paper towels after applying solvent, but do not rub the stain. Rubbing only spreads the stain around. Repeat the process until the stain has been removed.
- Cigarette burns can actually be sanded away with sandpaper. There will usually be a few black fibers, however, that will remain. Remove these fibers with scissors. If there is still a small stain or gap evident, snip a small amount of fibers from an inconspicuous area and glue them into the gap. The only person who will know is you.
Carpet Maintenance 101 in Four Easy Tips
Use these simple tips to keep your carpet looking good for years to come.
Simple Carpet-Maintenance Steps
Caring for your STAINMASTER® carpet is easy. Follow these four steps and your carpet will feel great, look wonderful and last for years.
Carpet Basics: Durability and Judging Quality
Here are some general terms for understanding how carpet is made and how to judge carpet quality.
Carpet Selection: 5 Things You Must Know
In the market for new carpet? Educate yourself and research your options before shopping.
Today's Carpet Trends
Brush up on your carpet fashion with our helpful recap of the latest trends.
How to Remove Pet Stains from Carpeting
Over sixty percent of American families have at least one pet residing in the home. Host Josh Temple herds a flock of sheep into the Disaster House to simulate a year’s worth of pet stains on a new carpet.
How to Care for Hardwood Flooring
Learning about hardwood flooring is crucial to caring for it properly. Our DIY experts explain the basics.
How to Select the Perfect Carpet
Choosing the right floor covering is simple with these tips from DIY experts.
Tips for Removing Garage Rust and Oil Stains
Find tips for removing stubborn stains from a garage floor.
Ask these key questions to pick the best carpeting.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials