Host Jeff Wilson explains that exterior walls comprise what is known as the building envelope, which defines the exterior structure of your home.
Exterior walls are responsible for keeping the comfortable air in and the elements out. All building codes require that you insulate the exterior walls of your home. This is done in-between the wood studs of the frame. Here's a look at some energy-efficiency factors to consider for walls:
- Fiberglass batts are pre-cut for a tight fit in between wall studs. They're easy to install and are used to reduce heat loss of air leakage.
- Sheathing is an added protective layer on the outside of the exterior wall. It's essentially plywood that is nailed or screwed into the studs of the building. Sheathing provides structural integrity, and its other function is to close off the studs.
Note: Sometimes sheathing can be foam insulation and sometimes it's rigid board. There's no structural loss using rigid board, and it's basically a better insulator for your home.
- Air infiltration barriers are polyurethane sheets that protect the house from moisture. The siding of the house is then applied on top of the air infiltration barrier. This can be a good wood paneling, a wire or a stucco surface.
All About Ceiling and Wall Construction
Learn about the most common types of wall and ceiling construction.
Exterior Paint Selection
Painting the exterior of your house may be a job for professionals, but with some basic knowledge and motivation, doing it yourself could save you a lot of cash.
Everything You Need to Know About Walls
Host Jeff Wilson explains how exterior and interior walls are constructed in a new home.
A Home's Exterior Materials
The outer finish of your house serves double duty, giving it style and acting as protection against wind and rain.
A Roof Over Your Head: Choosing Materials
Check out this information regarding the various types of materials that can be used to cover a roof, as well as which ones might be best for you.
Host Jeff Wilson explains how interior walls form the rooms and spaces inside the house, and how framers use the blueprint to see where the interior walls will go.
DIY Home Inspection Tips
It's possible to improve a home's energy efficiency without hiring a professional. Paul Ryan, of DIY's Home Energy Savings, offers tips on how to perform an informal energy audit.
Energy Efficiency Tips
Everyone wants to conserve energy these days, and Today Show Tips offers creative ideas to help make a home green the easy way. These tips will help homeowners save money on energy bills, too.
How to Choose a Wall Color
Don’t be intimidated by color — picking the right shade is easy with these professional tips.
Blog Cabin 2009: Exterior Construction
View exterior construction details of Blog Cabin 2009.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden