Roofing and Flashing Tips
A bad roof can be a mold generator. Check out these tips for keeping a roof maintained and preventing mold in a home.
- All homes should have a tight roof construction, with sheathing of 1/2" plywood or OSB. Proper sheathing ties the rafters together and supports the shingles. When improperly installed, sheathing can buckle and cause larger holes around the nails resulting in leaks.
- A good underlayment (usually 15- or 30-lb. felt) between the roofing shingles and the sheathing, is essential.
- Flashing seals areas of transition or penetration (where architectural features, exterior electrical features, plumbing or the roof and walls meet).
- Venting: 1 square foot per 150 square feet of attic floor. Half the vents should be at the eaves and half at the ridge.
- Guttering can keep the moisture away from the sheathing.
- Remove overhanging tree branches to dry out roof mold.
Maintaining Roof Shingles
These tips and general information on cleaning and preserving roof shingles will help keep a home looking maintained in the long term.
How to Do Simple Roofing Repairs
Reroofing is a major project that should usually be carried out by a professional contractor, but skilled DIYers can often handle small-scale repairs.
All About Roof Flashing
Learn how to correctly install flashing when constructing a new house or altering the exterior of a house.
Top 10 Roofing Tips
Here are 10 things you must know about common roof leak locations and how to fix them safely.
Home Siding and Crawlspace Tips
Summer home maintenance just got easier with these valuable tips on maintaining a home's siding and what to look for in a crawlspace.
Roofing Component Basics
Roofing terminology can be a bit overwhelming. DIY Network offers basic roofing definitions that will help get your project off on the right foot.
Roofing Buyer's Guide
Learn how to tell if it's time to replace your roof, and get information on the latest roofing materials and approximate costs.
A Roof Over Your Head: Choosing Materials
Check out this information regarding the various types of materials that can be used to cover a roof, as well as which ones might be best for you.
Tips on How to Weatherproof a Roof
Use these expert tips to protect your home. Learn how to keep the elements out and comfort in.
Frame by Frame: The Roof
Check out this helpful information concerning roofing options and installation.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art