Roofing and Flashing Tips
A bad roof can be a mold generator. Check out these tips for keeping a roof maintained and preventing mold in a home.
- All homes should have a tight roof construction, with sheathing of 1/2" plywood or OSB. Proper sheathing ties the rafters together and supports the shingles. When improperly installed, sheathing can buckle and cause larger holes around the nails resulting in leaks.
- A good underlayment (usually 15- or 30-lb. felt) between the roofing shingles and the sheathing, is essential.
- Flashing seals areas of transition or penetration (where architectural features, exterior electrical features, plumbing or the roof and walls meet).
- Venting: 1 square foot per 150 square feet of attic floor. Half the vents should be at the eaves and half at the ridge.
- Guttering can keep the moisture away from the sheathing.
- Remove overhanging tree branches to dry out roof mold.
Volatile Organic Compounds
Volatile organic compounds, found in paint, caulk, cleaning supplies, carpet and wood, can be damaging to your health.
Volatile Gases in Cabinetry and Furniture
Volatile gases such as benzene, xylene and formaldehyde are commonly found in kitchen cabinetry.
Tips for a Safe and Healthy Kitchen
From food storage to sanitizing surfaces, these tips will help you keep your kitchen a safe place.
Home Siding and Crawlspace Tips
Summer home maintenance just got easier with these valuable tips on maintaining a home's siding and what to look for in a crawlspace.
Maintaining Roof Shingles
These tips and general information on cleaning and preserving roof shingles will help keep a home looking maintained in the long term.
How to Prepare Walls for Painting
The key to a successful paint job is in the prep. Learn how to remove wallpaper, strip wood and patch walls to get them ready for a new coat of paint.
Upgrading Kitchen Islands
Here are some tips to consider when you want to give your kitchen island a new look.
Cabinets: Should You Replace or Reface?
Save money on your kitchen remodel by refacing your cabinets instead of replacing them. But make sure your current cabinets are up to snuff first.
How to Do Simple Roofing Repairs
Reroofing is a major project that should usually be carried out by a professional contractor, but skilled DIYers can often handle small-scale repairs.
Maintaining a Fireplace and Chimney
Learn proper fireplace and chimney maintenance tips along with a few extra suggestions on proper home maintenance before and during the cold-weather months.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables
- Flowers and Shrubs That Bloom in Late Winter and Early Spring