Roofing and Flashing Tips
A bad roof can be a mold generator. Check out these tips for keeping a roof maintained and preventing mold in a home.
- All homes should have a tight roof construction, with sheathing of 1/2" plywood or OSB. Proper sheathing ties the rafters together and supports the shingles. When improperly installed, sheathing can buckle and cause larger holes around the nails resulting in leaks.
- A good underlayment (usually 15- or 30-lb. felt) between the roofing shingles and the sheathing, is essential.
- Flashing seals areas of transition or penetration (where architectural features, exterior electrical features, plumbing or the roof and walls meet).
- Venting: 1 square foot per 150 square feet of attic floor. Half the vents should be at the eaves and half at the ridge.
- Guttering can keep the moisture away from the sheathing.
- Remove overhanging tree branches to dry out roof mold.
How to Do Simple Roofing Repairs
Reroofing is a major project that should usually be carried out by a professional contractor, but skilled DIYers can often handle small-scale repairs.
Tips on How to Weatherproof a Roof
Use these expert tips to protect your home. Learn how to keep the elements out and comfort in.
Frame by Frame: The Roof
Check out this helpful information concerning roofing options and installation.
How to Identify Moisture Problem Spots
Knowing the common moisture sources in a home is the first step to combating household mold. Our checklist will help you investigate.
Components of a House Frame
Learn about the different components that make up typical house framing.
Anatomy of a Roof
All you need to know and say when reroofing your home
How to Inspect Your Home's Interior
Home maintenance can prevent problems before they begin -- learn what you should regularly check for signs of potenial issues.
How to Inspect the Exterior of Your Home
Prevent problems before they begin -- learn what to look for and how to properly maintain the exterior structure of your home.
Tips on Choosing and Using Filler Compounds
Choosing a filler compound depends on what type of surface needs to be filled. Use this guide to filler compounds to pick the best one for the job.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes