Home Siding and Crawlspace Tips
Summer home maintenance just got easier with these valuable tips on maintaining a home's siding and what to look for in a crawlspace.
- When cleaning a home's siding, work from the bottom up when applying the cleaner and from the top down when rinsing to avoid streaks. For the tougher spots use a scrubber.
- Siding is notorious for soaking up mold and mildew. Cleaning it properly every summer can keep them away, help prevent staining or etching, and keep the siding looking brand new.
- Crawlspaces with dirt floors are tremendous sources of moisture. The surface might appear dry but most often moist earth isn't too far below. Moisture in a crawlspace affects not only the flooring right above it but can affect the entire house.
- It is a good idea to buy a vapor barrier if one is not already in place. A vapor barrier can be made out of a variety of materials from foil to plastic. It acts as a physical shield against moisture.
- Check for signs of termites in the crawlspace.
- If you have exposed piping in an unheated crawlspace, use pipe wrap.
- Another thing to check for is sewer lines. Check for leaks under where the toilet sits.
- Summertime is a good time to go into the crawlspace because it stays cool even on hot days. It is essential to check the crawlspace at least once a year to make sure it is free of pests and to check that the vapor barrier is intact and doing its job.
How to Identify Moisture Problem Spots
Knowing the common moisture sources in a home is the first step to combating household mold. Our checklist will help you investigate.
Tips on Cleaning and Maintaining a Fireplace
Cleaning and maintaining a fireplace can be a DIY job, but before the chimney is cleaned, key areas must be checked. Use these tips to ensure fireplace and chimney safety.
Tips on Installing Vinyl Siding
Here are 10 things you must know about installing vinyl siding.
How to Inspect the Exterior of Your Home
Prevent problems before they begin -- learn what to look for and how to properly maintain the exterior structure of your home.
Carpet Maintenance 101 in Four Easy Tips
Use these simple tips to keep your carpet looking good for years to come.
The Basics on Bark Siding
Bark siding is known both for its durability and its natural look that blends with wooded surroundings.
Components of a House Frame
Learn about the different components that make up typical house framing.
Advice on Gutters and Downspouts
The experts from DIY's Be Your Own Contractor discuss why these components are essential to your roofing structure.
How to Care for Hardwood Flooring
Learning about hardwood flooring is crucial to caring for it properly. Our DIY experts explain the basics.
Tips on How to Make a Home "Handi-capable"
Check out a few of the ADA guidelines for making a user-friendly home.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials