Home Siding and Crawlspace Tips
Summer home maintenance just got easier with these valuable tips on maintaining a home's siding and what to look for in a crawlspace.
- When cleaning a home's siding, work from the bottom up when applying the cleaner and from the top down when rinsing to avoid streaks. For the tougher spots use a scrubber.
- Siding is notorious for soaking up mold and mildew. Cleaning it properly every summer can keep them away, help prevent staining or etching, and keep the siding looking brand new.
- Crawlspaces with dirt floors are tremendous sources of moisture. The surface might appear dry but most often moist earth isn't too far below. Moisture in a crawlspace affects not only the flooring right above it but can affect the entire house.
- It is a good idea to buy a vapor barrier if one is not already in place. A vapor barrier can be made out of a variety of materials from foil to plastic. It acts as a physical shield against moisture.
- Check for signs of termites in the crawlspace.
- If you have exposed piping in an unheated crawlspace, use pipe wrap.
- Another thing to check for is sewer lines. Check for leaks under where the toilet sits.
- Summertime is a good time to go into the crawlspace because it stays cool even on hot days. It is essential to check the crawlspace at least once a year to make sure it is free of pests and to check that the vapor barrier is intact and doing its job.
Roofing and Flashing Tips
A bad roof can be a mold generator. Check out these tips for keeping a roof maintained and preventing mold in a home.
Home Maintenance: Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Spring home maintenance should include checking smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Check out these valuable tips for keeping your home safe.
Tips on Cleaning and Maintaining a Fireplace
Cleaning and maintaining a fireplace can be a DIY job, but before the chimney is cleaned, key areas must be checked. Use these tips to ensure fireplace and chimney safety.
Outdoor Spring Maintenance Tips
Spring maintenance is easy again with these simple tips on maintaining gutters and downspouts and preventing drainage issues around the home's foundation
It's time to find out about the many kinds of siding materials that can be used to cover a home, from brick and wood to cultured stone.
HVAC: Home Tips
Use these maintenance tips to help keep your air conditioning unit running efficiently.
Tips on Installing Vinyl Siding
Here are 10 things you must know about installing vinyl siding.
How to Inspect the Exterior of Your Home
Prevent problems before they begin -- learn what to look for and how to properly maintain the exterior structure of your home.
Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
Keep rain gutters clean and unclogged to prevent damage to your home's roof and exterior.
Checklist for a Trouble-Free Home
Preserve the value of your home with this home maintenance checklist.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Cloches and Cold Frames
- Make a Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
- Fall Decorating for the Front Yard
- Autumn Maintenance Tips
- Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
- Furnace Maintenance Tips