Home Siding and Crawlspace Tips
Summer home maintenance just got easier with these valuable tips on maintaining a home's siding and what to look for in a crawlspace.
- When cleaning a home's siding, work from the bottom up when applying the cleaner and from the top down when rinsing to avoid streaks. For the tougher spots use a scrubber.
- Siding is notorious for soaking up mold and mildew. Cleaning it properly every summer can keep them away, help prevent staining or etching, and keep the siding looking brand new.
- Crawlspaces with dirt floors are tremendous sources of moisture. The surface might appear dry but most often moist earth isn't too far below. Moisture in a crawlspace affects not only the flooring right above it but can affect the entire house.
- It is a good idea to buy a vapor barrier if one is not already in place. A vapor barrier can be made out of a variety of materials from foil to plastic. It acts as a physical shield against moisture.
- Check for signs of termites in the crawlspace.
- If you have exposed piping in an unheated crawlspace, use pipe wrap.
- Another thing to check for is sewer lines. Check for leaks under where the toilet sits.
- Summertime is a good time to go into the crawlspace because it stays cool even on hot days. It is essential to check the crawlspace at least once a year to make sure it is free of pests and to check that the vapor barrier is intact and doing its job.
Here are 10 things you must know about installing vinyl siding.
The warm weather has finally arrived. Throw open the windows and get started on these chores that head off potential problems and help prevent costly home repairs.
It's time to find out about the many kinds of siding materials that can be used to cover a home, from brick and wood to cultured stone.
Prep your home for spring — inside and out.
Learn about the basics of stucco siding from our experts.
Siding refers to any kind of material that is placed on the exterior of a home. Learn about the basics and the different types available for your home.
Take a closer look at a few alternative siding options, all of which will help ease the burden on your wallet.
Learn ways to add value to your home no matter what your budget.
Getting ready to re-side your house? Compare costs, weigh pros and cons, and learn how each of today's most popular siding materials rank when it comes to being earth-friendly.