Tips for Building Shutters
New shutters make a big difference in curb appeal during a landscape makeover.
- Measure your window for shutters. A good rule of thumb is that the shutters should be wide enough and long enough to fit over the windows. Even if the shutters are purely decorative, they should look like they fit.
- Use a table saw to cut wood to measurements, creating three (or six) boards vertically for each shutter and two horizontal boards for each one.
- Line up the three boards so they're even. Mark where you want the battens to go.
- Use good-quality exterior-grade wood glue to secure the battens to the board.
- Use an 18-gauge nail gun to nail the battens to the boards.
Spruce up those windows to make your kitchen more attractive to homebuyers. Here are six ideas from decorating and real estate experts.
Find new ideas on how to dress up windows for all budgets and styles.
Browse beautiful arch window treatments, from curtains to shades.