Tips for Building Shutters
New shutters make a big difference in curb appeal during a landscape makeover.
- Measure your window for shutters. A good rule of thumb is that the shutters should be wide enough and long enough to fit over the windows. Even if the shutters are purely decorative, they should look like they fit.
- Use a table saw to cut wood to measurements, creating three (or six) boards vertically for each shutter and two horizontal boards for each one.
- Line up the three boards so they're even. Mark where you want the battens to go.
- Use good-quality exterior-grade wood glue to secure the battens to the board.
- Use an 18-gauge nail gun to nail the battens to the boards.
A dreary front yard gets a major boost in curb appeal with low-maintenance landscaping that is easy on the earth and the eyes.
Instant Curb Appeal For Under $100
Enhancing your front yard doesn't have to cost a fortune.
America's Most Desperate Landscape 2010: Landscape Tips for Weekly Winner 4
The fourth weekly winner of America's Most Desperate Landscape 2010 is Gail Kirby, Bowling Green, KY. for her photos of a desperately bare front yard. Jason Cameron offers tips for giving this blank slate some curb appeal.
Learn how to light up your home, add curb appeal to the front yard or turn your backyard into evening entertaining space.
Choosing a Front Door
There are many options to choose from when deciding on a front door. Learn the facts so you can choose the best one for your needs.
America's Most Desperate Landscape 2009
Desperate no more: The winners of the DIY Network's 2009 national contest received a simply stunning makeover.
Landscape Makeover: From Desperate Yard to Picket-Pretty Curb Appeal
A neglected front yard gets a colorful transformation with a picket fence and dozens of new plants.
Small Yards, Big Designs
These makeovers make dull yards into dazzling, relaxing garden spaces.
Hardwood Plantation Shutters
A new set of plantation shutters is a great replacement for lackluster window treatments.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables