Insulation Tips and Tricks
Money-saving hints for improving insulation in your home.
If you've got drafty windows, you can place shrink-wrap film over the window opening to reduce the energy loss. Here's how:
1. Locate the draft by using a lighter and a hair dryer. Have a partner stand outside and blow a hair dryer toward the window. Light a butane lighter, and move the flame around the corners of the window. If the flame begins to flicker, you've got a draft.
2. Begin shrink-wrap installation by applying double-stick tape all the way around the window. Peel off the backing to expose the adhesive.
3. Attach the film to the tape, stretching it all around the window opening. Be sure the film sticks firmly to the tape; otherwise it might pull loose when you begin heating it.
4. Use a hair dryer to heat the film. Keep the hair dryer moving so you don't overheat any particular area. As the film gets warmer, it will tighten up until the wrinkles disappear. Trim any excess film with a utility knife.
Another way to minimize drafts is by insulating the electrical outlets and switches on the outside walls. Turn off the power to the outlets at the circuit-breaker box, and remove the outlet covers. Insert a foam insulating plate ,and replace the cover.
Another source of drafts is the gap between the window molding and the siding on the house. Use silicone caulk (clear or paintable) to seal the gap.
Use freeze caps to protect outside spigots in the winter months. Some models are affixed semi-permanently to the house.
DIY Money-Saving Kitchen Remodeling Tips
Renovating your own kitchen? Here are some handy tips from 10 Grand in Your Hand on planning, installing and shopping.
Tips on Painting Furniture
Learn these tips on painting furniture to ensure that your next furniture painting project is a success.
Six Tips to Light Up Your Kitchen
Give potential homebuyers a fresh look at your kitchen with a combination of new ambient, task and decorative lighting.
Tips on Using Paint Sprayers or Paint Guns
Paint sprayers can save a lot of time when painting large contoured areas. Learn these tips on using paint sprayers from DIY Network.
Tips on Choosing Adhesives
Adhesives, or glues, work in different ways and each is suited to specific surfaces. Use this guide to choose the best adhesive for any project.
Tips on Staining Wood
Follow this advice on how to properly stain wood furniture.
Tips on Solving Common Toilet Problems
Master plumber Ed Del Grande explains how even the average homeowner can easily fix common toilet problems.
Tips on Choosing and Using Filler Compounds
Choosing a filler compound depends on what type of surface needs to be filled. Use this guide to filler compounds to pick the best one for the job.
Tips on Increasing Attic-Insulation Efficiency
Houses can lose a lot of heat through the attic space. Find out how much insulation should be in an attic and get some tips about this easy upgrade.
Get to Know Your Home's Electrical System
If you're building or remodeling, check out this expert advice on planning your home's electrical system.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden