Tips for Creating the Ultimate Romantic Bathroom
These tips will help you relax into romance in the ultimate romantic bathroom, which features a deep soaking tub surrounded by candles and champagne.
Whether you're sharing your ultimate romantic bathroom with that special someone, or just a favorite romantic book or film, you deserve a setting that creates the proper mood.
Create a Romantic Retreat
Today's ultimate bathrooms aren't just places to brush your teeth or take a shower — no matter how fabulous the fixtures. Instead, the traditional master bath is becoming more integrated with the master bedroom to create a refuge for rest, relaxation, pampering and romance.
Light it Right
Lighting is one of the most essential and most overlooked parts of creating a romantic atmosphere, says award-winning kitchen and bath designer Beverley Binns.
"Lighting is so important to how we feel and perceive a space," she says. "When you control the lighting, you control the mood."
Her recommendation: Mix several types of lighting in soft, flattering tints. In addition to the usual overhead lights and other fixtures, consider one of the high-end chromatherapy bathtubs, fitted with adjustable underwater lights in different colors. Some spa-style showerheads also come with built-in mood lighting. Whatever the lighting design, it should be easy to control and adjustable for different moods. After all, sultry, romantic lighting isn't a lot of help when it comes to putting on mascara.
Indulge Your Senses
A true romantic design also involves:
- Color: Whether your idea of romantic color is deep burgundies or sunny blues, Beverly recommends picking analogous colors (ones located next to each other on the color wheel). Different tones of the same color family create a soothing effect, while pairing complementary colors (located across from each other on the color wheel) creates drama.
- Fixtures: Luxury, spa-style fixtures like soaking tubs or multispray showers make everyone feel pampered and relaxed, creating a wonderfully romantic frame of mind.
- Furniture: Die-hard romantics don't need to settle for boxy vanities and boring countertops. Many of the latest styles are available in designs and finishes that would look right at home in any well-decorated bedroom, while standing up to daily bathroom traffic.
- Scent: The ultimate romantic bathroom does not smell like cleaning supplies. Experiment with scent diffuser sticks and natural potpourri blends, or go all out with products that turn a plain steam shower into a scented spa experience.
- Music: Whether your romantic taste runs to boleros or Barry White, music is essential for setting the proper tone. Load your music library digitally, and then control the sound with a single remote. Use a single sound system with speakers throughout the bedroom and bath to help bring together the ultimate romantic master suite.