Bathroom Electrical Tips
Keep these tips in mind whenever you're dealing with wiring in a bathroom.
- If the wiring in your home appears to be a silvery metal instead of copper, you have aluminum wiring and should consult a licensed electrician before attempting any work or repairs.
- Never reach into a circuit or fuse panel with both hands, you could short a circuit across your heart. For safety's sake, keep one hand in your pocket whenever dealing with your panel.
- A ball of yarn can help you fish a wire through conduit. Tie one end of the yarn around a pencil and use your shop vac to suck the other end through the conduit. Tie the free end to your wire and pull the whole thing back through.
- Bathtubs sometimes sink a bit when they're full. Because of this, the caulking surrounding the tub will last longer if, before you caulk, you fill the tub with water and keep it full until after the caulking has cured.
- You can use mirror clips to attach a small wastebasket to the inside of your bathroom's cabinet door.
- Did you know? The first plumbers who wanted to put bathrooms in homes were considered crude in the early 19th century. Who could imagine eating and using the restroom under the same roof!
Electrical Safety Tips
Before you tackle any electrical task, review these top safety concerns.
Extension Cord Safety Tips
Extension cords can be handy tools, but not all cords are the same. Use these safety tips to avoid electrical fires when using extension cords.
DIY Electrical Safety
Working on or near a home's electrical system can be hazardous if you don't know the rules. Use these tips to learn how to work safely around electricity.
Extension Cord Tips
A durable three-pronged extension cord is essential for any workshop. Here are a few extension cords and accessories available on the market.
Electricity in the Workshop
These tips offer information on workshop electricity.
Tips on Using Space Heaters
Space heaters can be very effective, but they have a bad reputation as fire hazards. Here are some tips for using portable heaters as a safe alternative to heating the entire house.
Tips on How to Make a Home "Handi-capable"
Check out a few of the ADA guidelines for making a user-friendly home.
Universal Design Bathrooms
Use universal design concepts to create safe, stylish bathrooms in your home.
Control power switches using only your foot.
Fire Safety Tips
From sawdust to paint thinner, workshops are filled with fire hazards. Keep these fire safety tips in mind to avoid workshop fires.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden