By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
Translucent concrete stain
High-gloss concrete sealer
Spray paint for plastic
Outdoor solar luminaries
Patio heater or fire bowl
TIP: Small, weekend projects can mean big changes for an old, concrete patio.
1. Hose down nearby plants and cover them and walls and doors with plastic sheeting.
2. Use combination clear/etcher to prepare surface for new coating.
3. Apply translucent concrete stain.
4. Roll edges in random directions to prevent marks.
5. Use garden sprayer to coat interior.
TIP: Keep nozzle 18 inches above surface and application light and even; do not let stain pool.
TIP: You could apply stain with sponge.
6. Apply high-gloss sealer for shiny, wet look.
7. Test concrete with droplets of water to make sure surface is porous enough to bond with sealer; if water is absorbed, you can seal it.
8. Sand and paint old wood furniture.
TIP: If you use spray paint, you won’t have to prime.
9. To restore plastic furniture, use spray paint formulated for plastic.
10. Add new outdoor pillows, containers plants, and exterior rug.
11. Install portable heater or fire bowl for cool weather; shade sail for hot weather.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.