Painted Patio Furniture
Rejuvenate boring everybody-has-'em resin patio chairs with a few coats of paint and a little artistic imagination.
Materials and Tools:
resin patio chair
Krylon Fusion paint (specially designed for hard plastics)
Ammonia-based cleaning product
paint thinner (if chair is brand new)
optional: plastic paints, paintbrushes, low-tack painter's tape
1. Using an ammonia-based cleaner, wipe down the chair to remove any dust or dirt. If the chair is brand new, wipe it down with paint thinner: this will prepare the surface so the paint will stick.
2. Shake the fusion paint for two minutes. Working in a well-ventilated area (preferably outdoors), hold the can 8"-10" from the chair and spray in a sweeping motion from side to side. Apply a thin coat and allow to dry for 30 seconds. Apply multiple coats, allowing to dry between applications, until the chair is completely coated. The paint will dry in 15 minutes or less and can be handled in an hour.
3. Fusion paint must cure for a full seven days to become fully dry and chip and scratch resistant. After seven days have passed, apply the plastic paints in the desired pattern.
4. Use painter's tape to mark off stripes and geometric shapes, and use different size brushes and different colors of paint to create fun designs.
How to Distress Unfinished Furniture
Try some of these tips to give unfinished furniture a distressed look.
Glaze Gives Furniture a Rich Look
Glaze is essential in creating rich, dimensional paint treatments such as in many faux and decorative paint techniques.
Tips on Painting Furniture
Learn these tips on painting furniture to ensure that your next furniture painting project is a success.
Whitewashing and Pickling Techniques
Whitewashing your furniture or wood accessories can brighten the look of most any room in a house.
Tips on Staining Wood
Follow this advice on how to properly stain wood furniture.
Cleaning Outdoor Furniture
Learn about the best ways to clean outdoor cushions, canvas seats and chair backs, and white and colored plastic.
How to Refresh a Dining Room Table
Don't throw out old furniture -- it has great character. Instead, turn a dining room table into a new focal point for the room.
Furniture and Accessories in a Nursery
Giving old furniture a few easy touch-ups can make a baby's room bright and inviting.
Table Edge Profiles
Edge profiles can give tabletops a cutting edge.
How to Make an A-Frame Wine Rack
Learn how to make a simple wine rack that brings together the natural wood and neon rope.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables