Composite Wood Planks
Composite wood planks expand and contract with temperature.
- Do not use the planks on fully exposed decks that receive excessive sunlight and heat. Composite wood planking must be well ventilated to prevent heat build-up.
- Install planks no more than 16" on center. If installing on a diagonal, install no more than 12" on center. Install perpendicular to the house on a 1/4" slope to allow for water run off.
- It is recommended that the starter and finish plank are secured by pre-drilling and countersinking composite screws through the face of the plank, then filling with plastic wood filler.
- When pre-drilling holes, drill at a 45 degree angle using a 1/8" bit and a 3/16" countersink bit.
Composite Wood Basics
Host Paul Ryan explains the benefits of buying and using composite wood.
Planning and Preparing for a New Deck
Decks provide an attractive outdoor entertaining area that's perfect for grilling and dining. Decking is quicker to install than paving and can easily be adjusted to any size and situation.
Upper Deck From Blog Cabin 2014
A spiral staircase leads from the first level of the boat dock to a sun deck, surrounded by breathtaking views of Lake Hamilton.
Hardwood Installation Tools
Follow these tips about the tools needed for installing engineered and hardwood floors.
Lumber Buying Tips and Tricks
Learn about the different types of wood and what to look for when buying wood.
Deck From Blog Cabin 2012
The removal of the home's brick chimney made way for a curved and illuminated back deck, accessible from both the living room and the master suite.
Rear Deck From Blog Cabin 2009
Warmed by a wood-burning fireplace, this outdoor space accommodates both casual mealtimes and intimate conversations. Natural flow to and from the great room and easy access to the backyard make this the perfect perch for guests.
Master Deck From Blog Cabin 2012
Sliding-glass doors lead from the master bedroom to a private deck, where all-weather chaises and built-in benches offer seating.
Tips for Applying Deck Sealer
No matter what application method you opt to use, sealant will help prolong the life of your deck.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials