Mowing Tips for Keeping a Healthy Lawn
Mower height and other recommendations for a healthy lawn.
Lance Walheim, the author of Lawn Care for Dummies, answers the age-old question: How low do you mow? How often and how short you mow your lawn determines how well it resists weeds, heat and drought. Each type of grass has an ideal mowing range: Cut it too low and your lawn will be shallow-rooted and susceptible to sunburn and drought stress. Leave it too high or don't mow it often enough, and your lawn will thin out and possibly be invaded by weeds.
Adjusting the Height on a Rotary Mower
Set the mower on a level surface and, making sure it's turned off, disconnect the sparkplugs and drain the gas. Lift the mower and clean out any debris on the underside. Measure the level with a tape measure and adjust the wheels to the desired height (some models allow you to adjust all four wheels at once; others, one at a time).
- Alternate mowing directions to avoid forming ruts in your lawn.
- In hot weather, mow a bit higher (to encourage deeper roots).
- Never mow with a dull blade. You can easily remove and sharpen the blade, or you can replace it fairly inexpensively.
- Mow the lawn when it is about a third higher than the recommended mowing height.
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn, unless the grass has grown very tall between mowings. The clippings will contribute organic matter and nutrients as they break down.
For specific mowing heights for each type of grass, see Walheim's book, which is published by IDG Books Worldwide.
Tips for Choosing and Caring for a Lawn Mower
Buying and maintaining a lawn mower are made easier with these tips.
Lawn Mowing and Watering Tips
Cutting your grass and keeping it watered is vital to a great looking lawn.
To Mow Or Not To Mow?
A master gardener examines the pros and cons of having a lawn to maintain.
How to Remove Lawn Thatch
Thatch, built-up plant material between green growth and the grass roots, is essential, but too much can deter healthy lawn growth.
Lawn Mower Basics
There are different types of lawnmowers out there. Here's some information on a few.
Mowers for the Older Generation
Mowing the lawn can result in a variety of physical ailments, many of which can be avoided with the right mower.
Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
Watering the lawn efficiently and appropriately involves more than simply watering every day.
What Is The Ideal Height To Cut The Grass?
Learn all the factors that determine the ideal height for mowing grass and at what height you should be cutting your lawn.
Lawn Watering Basics
Follow these tips for a crash course in watering a lawn.
Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
Keep your spring maintenance tools rust-free, sharpened and mechanically sound.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables