Lawn Mowing and Watering Tips
Cutting your grass and keeping it watered is vital to a great looking lawn.
Keep Mower Blades Sharp
Turf pros across the country agree, one of the biggest mistakes homeowners make is not keeping their mower blades sharp. A dull mower blade will have notches on it. A sharp one will be smooth. A dull mower blade will leave your grass blades jagged and open to diseases. A sharp one will give you an even cut. Use a file to sharpen the blade. Or, you could use a special sharpening stone on the end of a regular drill.
5 Mowing Tips:
- Cut your grass more frequently and never cut off more than 1/3 of the leaf blade.
- Mow at a higher cut.
- Be consistent when you mow so you don’t scalp your lawn.
- Alternate mowing directions.
- Mow across hills, not up and down them.
- Grass can tolerate a little stress, but long dry spells will really hurt it.
- Give the lawn an inch of water a week.
- Water in the mornings if you can so grass can dry during the day.
- Oscillating sprinklers – Shoot thin streams of water into the air while moving back and forth.
- Spinning sprinklers – Can be adjusted to give one part of the lawn more water than another part.
Either type of sprinkler can be attached to a heavy garden hose.
Tips for Choosing and Caring for a Lawn Mower
Buying and maintaining a lawn mower are made easier with these tips.
Tips on Installing a Sprinkler System
Before you begin installing an irrigation system, keep in mind that a lot of planning is going to be involved. Use these tips to make your installation go smoothly.
Hoses, Sprinklers and Watering Accessories
Here's the dirt on garden hoses, specialized attachments, sprinklers, watering accessories, and how to tame an unruly hose.
Mowing Tips for Keeping a Healthy Lawn
Mower height and other recommendations for a healthy lawn.
Watering the Lawn: Zones and Other Basics
Learn about everything related to installing a home irrigation system.
Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
Watering the lawn efficiently and appropriately involves more than simply watering every day.
To Mow Or Not To Mow?
A master gardener examines the pros and cons of having a lawn to maintain.
Tips for Sodding and Seeding
Whether you go the sod or seed route, both have simple steps that should be followed. Here are some tips on both.
What Is The Ideal Height To Cut The Grass?
Learn all the factors that determine the ideal height for mowing grass and at what height you should be cutting your lawn.
Sprinkler Head Types
Learn about different types of sprinkler head types and the pros and cons of each.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art