Lawn Mowing and Watering Tips
Cutting your grass and keeping it watered is vital to a great looking lawn.
Keep Mower Blades Sharp
Turf pros across the country agree, one of the biggest mistakes homeowners make is not keeping their mower blades sharp. A dull mower blade will have notches on it. A sharp one will be smooth. A dull mower blade will leave your grass blades jagged and open to diseases. A sharp one will give you an even cut. Use a file to sharpen the blade. Or, you could use a special sharpening stone on the end of a regular drill.
5 Mowing Tips:
- Cut your grass more frequently and never cut off more than 1/3 of the leaf blade.
- Mow at a higher cut.
- Be consistent when you mow so you don’t scalp your lawn.
- Alternate mowing directions.
- Mow across hills, not up and down them.
- Grass can tolerate a little stress, but long dry spells will really hurt it.
- Give the lawn an inch of water a week.
- Water in the mornings if you can so grass can dry during the day.
- Oscillating sprinklers – Shoot thin streams of water into the air while moving back and forth.
- Spinning sprinklers – Can be adjusted to give one part of the lawn more water than another part.
Either type of sprinkler can be attached to a heavy garden hose.
Tips on Installing a Sprinkler System
Before you begin installing an irrigation system, keep in mind that a lot of planning is going to be involved. Use these tips to make your installation go smoothly.
To Mow Or Not To Mow?
A master gardener examines the pros and cons of having a lawn to maintain.
Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
Watering the lawn efficiently and appropriately involves more than simply watering every day.
What Is The Ideal Height To Cut The Grass?
Learn all the factors that determine the ideal height for mowing grass and at what height you should be cutting your lawn.
Tips on Determining Hard Water
Too much of the same mineral will lead to hard water. Not only can the water smell and taste bad, it can also damage appliances. Here are a few tips to find out for sure if a home has hard water.
Tips on Maintaining a Water Heater
Valuable tips and general information are revealed for checking, flushing and maintaining a home's water heater.
Tips on Using Space Heaters
Space heaters can be very effective, but they have a bad reputation as fire hazards. Here are some tips for using portable heaters as a safe alternative to heating the entire house.
Get to Know Your Home's Electrical System
If you're building or remodeling, check out this expert advice on planning your home's electrical system.
DIY Electrical Safety
Working on or near a home's electrical system can be hazardous if you don't know the rules. Use these tips to learn how to work safely around electricity.
Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
Keep your spring maintenance tools rust-free, sharpened and mechanically sound.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables