Learn a few tips and tricks to keep your lawn looking great all year round.
Lawn Maintenance Calendar
- March and April: Rake up leaves and debris in yard.
- Sharpen mower blade.
- May: Apply broadleaf herbicide.
- Water correctly: Soak lawn 6 to 8 inches deep. Sandy soils take 30 minutes. For clay soils, it could take a couple of hours.
- If you plan to kill off your lawn, August is a good time to do it.
- Mulch leafs on lawn with mower.
- Aerate soil – getting air down to the roots.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicide to prevent growth of annual bluegrass and chickweed.
- Maintain your mower – drain the oil and gasoline and change the filter.
Fixing Brown or Bald Spots
- Clean up dead grass with a rake, trowel or shovel.
- Scrape the grown grass or poke holes in it.
- Lightly scatter seed.
- Loosen edges of the brown patch using a shovel.
- Dig up the dead grass. You could use a device called a sod cutter to help.
- Till the soil.
- Rake remaining debris, grass and soil to even out the surface.
- Lay sod by first starting along an edge.
- Butt the ends together.
- Cut off any excess using a knife.
- Roll out any bumps.
- Water sod to help it establish a good root system.
The Right Way to Water and Feed a Lawn
Keeping your lawn properly watered and fertilized will ensure its health and appearance. Here are a few tips to keep a lawn healthy.
Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
Keep your spring maintenance tools rust-free, sharpened and mechanically sound.
Lawn Watering Basics
Follow these tips for a crash course in watering a lawn.
Mowing Tips for Keeping a Healthy Lawn
Mower height and other recommendations for a healthy lawn.
Watering the Lawn: Zones and Other Basics
Learn about everything related to installing a home irrigation system.
Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
Watering the lawn efficiently and appropriately involves more than simply watering every day.
Lawn Fertilizers Explained
The finer points of applying fertilizer, organic or not, to the lawn are discussed.
Tips for Choosing and Caring for a Lawn Mower
Buying and maintaining a lawn mower are made easier with these tips.
Thatch and Aerating
Learn how to properly thatch and aerate a lawn for healthy grass.
Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
When the landscape is in full bloom, use these DIY yard care tips to keep it neat.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Cloches and Cold Frames
- Make a Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
- Fall Decorating for the Front Yard
- Autumn Maintenance Tips
- Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
- Furnace Maintenance Tips