Learn a few tips and tricks to keep your lawn looking great all year round.
Lawn Maintenance Calendar
- March and April: Rake up leaves and debris in yard.
- Sharpen mower blade.
- May: Apply broadleaf herbicide.
- Water correctly: Soak lawn 6 to 8 inches deep. Sandy soils take 30 minutes. For clay soils, it could take a couple of hours.
- If you plan to kill off your lawn, August is a good time to do it.
- Mulch leafs on lawn with mower.
- Aerate soil – getting air down to the roots.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicide to prevent growth of annual bluegrass and chickweed.
- Maintain your mower – drain the oil and gasoline and change the filter.
Fixing Brown or Bald Spots
- Clean up dead grass with a rake, trowel or shovel.
- Scrape the grown grass or poke holes in it.
- Lightly scatter seed.
- Loosen edges of the brown patch using a shovel.
- Dig up the dead grass. You could use a device called a sod cutter to help.
- Till the soil.
- Rake remaining debris, grass and soil to even out the surface.
- Lay sod by first starting along an edge.
- Butt the ends together.
- Cut off any excess using a knife.
- Roll out any bumps.
- Water sod to help it establish a good root system.