Learn a few tips and tricks to keep your lawn looking great all year round.
Lawn Maintenance Calendar
- March and April: Rake up leaves and debris in yard.
- Sharpen mower blade.
- May: Apply broadleaf herbicide.
- Water correctly: Soak lawn 6 to 8 inches deep. Sandy soils take 30 minutes. For clay soils, it could take a couple of hours.
- If you plan to kill off your lawn, August is a good time to do it.
- Mulch leafs on lawn with mower.
- Aerate soil – getting air down to the roots.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicide to prevent growth of annual bluegrass and chickweed.
- Maintain your mower – drain the oil and gasoline and change the filter.
Fixing Brown or Bald Spots
- Clean up dead grass with a rake, trowel or shovel.
- Scrape the grown grass or poke holes in it.
- Lightly scatter seed.
- Loosen edges of the brown patch using a shovel.
- Dig up the dead grass. You could use a device called a sod cutter to help.
- Till the soil.
- Rake remaining debris, grass and soil to even out the surface.
- Lay sod by first starting along an edge.
- Butt the ends together.
- Cut off any excess using a knife.
- Roll out any bumps.
- Water sod to help it establish a good root system.
Thatch and Aerating
Learn how to properly thatch and aerate a lawn for healthy grass.
To Mow Or Not To Mow?
A master gardener examines the pros and cons of having a lawn to maintain.
What Is The Ideal Height To Cut The Grass?
Learn all the factors that determine the ideal height for mowing grass and at what height you should be cutting your lawn.
Bugs, Grubs and Gophers
Follow this advice on the identification, treatment and prevention of the top three lawn pests.
The Right Way to Water and Feed a Lawn
Keeping your lawn properly watered and fertilized will ensure its health and appearance. Here are a few tips to keep a lawn healthy.
How to Choose Between Seed and Turf
Not sure whether seed or turf is the way to go when growing your lawn? Learn the advantages and disadvantages of each and decide which groundcover option will work best for your outdoor space.
Lawn Watering Basics
Follow these tips for a crash course in watering a lawn.
Mowing Tips for Keeping a Healthy Lawn
Mower height and other recommendations for a healthy lawn.
Watering the Lawn: Zones and Other Basics
Learn about everything related to installing a home irrigation system.
Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
Watering the lawn efficiently and appropriately involves more than simply watering every day.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Spring Home Maintenance Guide
- Spring Colors for the Garden
- Keeping Lawn and Garden Tools in Shape
- Flowering Bulbs Planted in Spring
- Quick-Growing Spring and Fall Vegetables