Fence Post Stepping Stones
Transform 4x4 fence posts into distinctive wooden stepping stones to add beauty to your home's exterior.
Materials and Tools:
4x4 pressure-treated posts
miter box, chop saw or hand saw
hardware netting or hardware cloth
multipurpose construction adhesive
- Cut the post into 1/2" thick sections; you'll need nine of these slices for each stepping stone.
- Cut hardware netting or hardware cloth into 10-1/2" x 10-1/2" squares. Lay one of these squares out on a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper over a flat surface.
- Butter the back of the fence post slices with construction adhesive and glue them directly to the netting. Wiggle the slices a bit as you place them to make sure the adhesive gets a good bond with the wood and the netting. Set a cement tile on top of the wood squares to help hold everything in place. Note: Make sure you use a construction adhesive made for outdoor use; it will need to hold up in all kinds of weather.
- Once the glue starts to dry, remove the waxed paper. Let the glue cure thoroughly. Repeat for the other fence post slices until the stepping stones are complete.
- Seal the wood blocks with two or three coats of exterior-grade polyurethane.