Heat Safety Tips
How to prevent dehydration when the temperatures are high and there's no shade available while working on an outdoor project.
For some outdoor DIY projects, the temperature and access to shade for relief from the beating sun can cause serious heat related problems. In such work conditions, it's critical to avoid dehydration. Here are some suggestions:
- Drink lots of water and sports drinks. Avoid extremely sugary or caffeinated drinks because these have a tendency to cause cramps and don't re-hydrate the body well.
- Wear sunscreen at all times. Use a hat to provide some shade for the face and neck. Sunglasses serve two purposes: eye protection and UV blockers.
- Listen to the body. Take frequent breaks in the heat of the day and get out of the sun when possible.
- Set up a tent or canopy to create shade when none is provided naturally by the surroundings.
Tips for a Safe and Healthy Kitchen
From food storage to sanitizing surfaces, these tips will help you keep your kitchen a safe place.
Fire Safety Tips
From sawdust to paint thinner, workshops are filled with fire hazards. Keep these fire safety tips in mind to avoid workshop fires.
Tips on Using Space Heaters
Space heaters can be very effective, but they have a bad reputation as fire hazards. Here are some tips for using portable heaters as a safe alternative to heating the entire house.
Tips for Organizing a Garage
Going up the wall for storage saves floor space in the garage for the car. Look into hooks for hanging even large items up and out of the way.
Bathroom Electrical Tips
Keep these tips in mind whenever you're dealing with wiring in a bathroom.
DIY Electrical Safety
Working on or near a home's electrical system can be hazardous if you don't know the rules. Use these tips to learn how to work safely around electricity.
Tips on Choosing a Shop Heater
Need a heater in the workshop? Use this expert advice to choose the right one for your space.
Tack Welding Tips
Host Amy Devers shares tips and techniques for tack welding.
Electrical Safety Tips
Before you tackle any electrical task, review these top safety concerns.
Extension Cord Safety Tips
Extension cords can be handy tools, but not all cords are the same. Use these safety tips to avoid electrical fires when using extension cords.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Seasonal Gardening Planner
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Foolproof Color for the Summer Garden