When and Where to Shop for Plants
Here are a few steps to take while shopping to make sure you make it home with the right plant.
• Have a good idea what you need — in terms of number and type of plants, the amount of sun exposure — before you go shopping.
• Window-shop before you buy. Research the health and conditions and prices at various nurseries and garden centers, and compare the prices and availability of plants from local vendors and mail-order catalogs.
• Check out the return policy of your selected vendors.
• If possible, avoid shopping at peak times — Saturday mornings, the day or two before holidays, etc.
• Get to know the nurserymen or clerks at your favorite garden centers.
• Carry plants home in a covered vehicle, if possible, to avoid wind damage. If you're using a pickup, place plants directly behind the cab to minimize wind. Lay trees and shrubs on their side and brace with a few bags of mulch or soil amendment to help secure them.
• If you can't get the plants into the ground (or in containers) right away, place them in a shady area and keep them well watered.
Size Matters in Plants
The size of the plants you buy depends on the type of landscape you want to produce.
Products featured in Yard Crashers' San Francisco Giants Special 2014
Matt Blashaw seeks out San Francisco's biggest Giants fans and, with the help of the MLB Network, Matt and former pro player Eric Byrnes transform their boring yard into a GIANTS inspired space. Here are products featured in the episode.
Products Featured in DIY Network's "I Want That" - Season 5
See a list of products featured in season 5 of the DIY Network series, I Want That.
Products Featured in DIY Network's "I Want That" - Season 6
See a list of products featured in season 6 of the DIY Network series, I Want That.
Shop DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014
Did you see something you liked at DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014? Browse a list of products featured in the home.
Guide to Selecting Flooring
Which flooring is right for you? Hardwood, laminate, tile, vinyl or eco-friendly choices like cork or bamboo? Our experts explain the 8 most popular types to help you choose.
Plants Used in the Governor's Landscape
Check out these nine plant varieties used in the Georgia governor's mansion project -- and the planting information for each zone.
How to Plant and Grow Peas
To be a successful backyard pea farmer -- and picker -- follow directions, keep the birds away and feed the soil.
Caring for a Variety of Plants
Knowing specific information about plants is important in order to care for them properly. The experts share how to care for each plant.
Gardening Terms to Know
Knowing these gardening terms and how they apply to your gardening efforts can make a difference in produce productivity.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials