The Right Shrub for the Job
Choosing the right shrubs for your yard or garden can be a frustrating process. Get started with these useful tips.
When you make the proper selections, shrubs can help you work out a variety of landscaping challenges – and create a more peaceful environment in your yard. Here are some shrub varieties that help solve problems:
- Shrubs that are quick growing and tall work well to create a screen between you and noisy – or nosy – neighbors.
- Azaleas or rhododendrons or other blooming shrubs help dress up the front yard. They're also fragrant if you spend a lot of time on the front porch.
- To distance your home and yard from a busy street, gradually build a wall of shrubs. Start with low shrubs such as juniper, then phase in a row of something a little higher behind it – like holly. Last, work in some shrubs that grow higher still. But do make sure that you don't obscure your house so much that burglars can sneak in easily.
- Rounded shrubs, such as hydrangeas, work well for borders.
- Vertical shrubs work in front of windowless walls – but don't put one outside a window with a view!
- An arching shrub, such as forsythia, looks good in the yard by itself.
- For small gardens, select a very few spreading shrubs, but don't cover up all your soil.
Learn about several shrub plant varieties and the planting information for each zone.
Size Matters in Plants
The size of the plants you buy depends on the type of landscape you want to produce.
Selecting Trees and Shrubs
A gardening expert explains what to look for and what to avoid when buying trees and shrubs from a nursery.
Choosing the Right Organic Plants
Choosing the right plants for the area will make an organic garden much more productive.
10 Landscaping Plants
Learn about the characteristics of popular plants for landscaping projects, along with tips for their care.
The Right Way to Plant a Tree
Healthy roots and cultivating the surrounding soil are keys to success in planting a new tree.
Plants Around a Firepit
Landscape the area around a firepit with plants that add texture and complement the colors of the fire.
How To Save Money at the Nursery
Follow these tips to save a little green when buying plants for a landscaping job.
Dwarf Shrubs and More
Here are 17 beautiful and low-maintenance plants.
Known for their durability in the landscape and the wide array of flowering and fruiting cultivars, viburnums are great, versatile shrubs for any garden.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art