Growing Tomatoes in Hanging Baskets
Use limited garden space as an opportunity to grow tomatoes in a hanging basket.
If garden space is limited, don't rule out growing tomatoes. Instead put them in hanging baskets:
1. Line a wire basket with sphagnum moss that's been soaked in water.
2. Amend sterilized potting soil with a slow-release fertilizer as well as some polymer pellets to increase the soil's water-holding capacity.
3. Fill the bottom of the moss-lined basket with a 1" layer of amended potting soil.
4. Choose a small-fruiting variety of tomato such as 'Sweet One-Hundred'.
5. Set the plant in the wire basket, and fill in around the root ball with soil.
6. Water the plant and cover the surface of the soil with more moss to help keep the soil moist.
Tomatoes grown in hanging baskets may need water every day in warm weather. Make sure you hang them in an area where watering won't be a problem.
Understanding Tomato Diseases
Expert tips on how to cope with tomato diseases in your vegetable garden.
Vertical Gardening With Tomatoes
Growing tomatoes up rather than out is probably the most popular vertical gardening technique of all. Here are two tried and true ways.
Growing Vegetables in Containers
It is possible to grow a huge range of vegetables and herbs successfully in pots, which means that anyone with a patio, balcony or even just a sunny windowsill can harvest their own fresh produce for the kitchen.
How to Grow Beets in a Container
Tight on outdoor space? Beets are a great choice when it comes to growing a vegetable garden in containers.
How to Grow Yams
Yams and sweet potatoes have been confused for centuries, find out the difference and which one is best to plant in your garden.
Growing Beauregard Sweet Potatoes
Beauregard is one of the world’s most popular sweet potatoes. It offers high-yield and disease-resistance.
How To Grow Rutabagas (Swede)
Planting seed in the proper season, along with good soil preparation, will contribute to success with rutabagas.
Growing Rutabaga From Seeds
No need to start rutabaga seeds indoors and then transplant, as these trusty plants grow readily from seeds sown outdoors.
This Latin American fruit comes in thousands of varieties. Decide what to grow based on your needs and your garden space.
Top 5 Orange Sweet Potatoes to Grow
There are hundreds of different orange sweet potatoes to grow – here are the top five recommended by the experts.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Make a Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
- Fall Decorating for the Front Yard
- Autumn Maintenance Tips
- Tips for Cleaning and Repairing Gutters
- Furnace Maintenance Tips
- Home Maintenance: Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors