Growing Tomatoes in Hanging Baskets
Use limited garden space as an opportunity to grow tomatoes in a hanging basket.
If garden space is limited, don't rule out growing tomatoes. Instead put them in hanging baskets:
1. Line a wire basket with sphagnum moss that's been soaked in water.
2. Amend sterilized potting soil with a slow-release fertilizer as well as some polymer pellets to increase the soil's water-holding capacity.
3. Fill the bottom of the moss-lined basket with a 1" layer of amended potting soil.
4. Choose a small-fruiting variety of tomato such as 'Sweet One-Hundred'.
5. Set the plant in the wire basket, and fill in around the root ball with soil.
6. Water the plant and cover the surface of the soil with more moss to help keep the soil moist.
Tomatoes grown in hanging baskets may need water every day in warm weather. Make sure you hang them in an area where watering won't be a problem.
Understanding Tomato Diseases
Expert tips on how to cope with tomato diseases in your vegetable garden.
Growing Vegetables in Containers
It is possible to grow a huge range of vegetables and herbs successfully in pots, which means that anyone with a patio, balcony or even just a sunny windowsill can harvest their own fresh produce for the kitchen.
Vertical Gardening With Tomatoes
Growing tomatoes up rather than out is probably the most popular vertical gardening technique of all. Here are two tried and true ways.
How to Grow Beets in a Container
Tight on outdoor space? Beets are a great choice when it comes to growing a vegetable garden in containers.
Block Planting Vegetables in Beds
An easy way to grow crops is in beds, where the gardener can focus on improving the soil, removing weeds and planting dense blocks of vegetables in a manageable, defined area.
Gardening in Containers
Follow this guide for the selection of containers and learn how to make almost any container suitable for growing vegetables.
This Latin American fruit comes in thousands of varieties. Decide what to grow based on your needs and your garden space.
Growing Cucumbers Vertically
Cucumbers feel right at home growing vertically, either on a trellis or in a tomato cage.
Growing and Harvesting Kohlrabi, Yardlong Beans and White Eggplant
Here are some growing tips and harvesting hints to help maximize the yield of kohlrabi, yardlong-bean and white-eggplant crops.
Tips for Harvesting Tomatoes Early
These tricks will protect young tomato plants so that an early harvest is possible.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- Tips for Summer Yard Maintenance
- Tips for Watering Lawn in Summer
- Plants That Bloom in Summer
- Flavorful Herbs Enhance Summer Dishes
- Unusual Summer Perennials