Determining Plant Health
There are a few ways to make sure a plant is healthy before taking it home from the store.
• Choose plants with healthy foliage and no sign of disease or insects.
• If possible, examine the roots of a containerized plant before you buy. Healthy roots will generally be white or light-colored on most plants.
• Shrubs and trees that have spent a long time in transit or on display may have gone through extended periods of heat and drought. Reject any plant with dark, discolored roots or a shrunken root mass.
• The root ball of a balled-and-burlapped plant should be round and firm — not loose — and there shouldn't be roots growing through the burlap.
• Look for plants that are bushy and compact, with new leaves appearing close together on the stems (not leggy).
• Take an even closer look at plants on sale — they may be past their prime.
• Avoid plants with flowers that have opened, and opt for those still in bud.
• An annual or perennial with leaf scars indicates that the plant has previously lost leaves.
• Look for even and attractive branching from all angles.
You can learn a lot about a plant simply by studying its label.
Size Matters in Plants
The size of the plants you buy depends on the type of landscape you want to produce.
When and Where to Shop for Plants
Here are a few steps to take while shopping to make sure you make it home with the right plant.
Picking the Right Mulch
Not all mulch is the same. For the best results, different areas require the use of different types of mulch.
Products featured in Yard Crashers' San Francisco Giants Special 2014
Matt Blashaw seeks out San Francisco's biggest Giants fans and, with the help of the MLB Network, Matt and former pro player Eric Byrnes transform their boring yard into a GIANTS inspired space. Here are products featured in the episode.
10 Landscaping Plants
Learn about the characteristics of popular plants for landscaping projects, along with tips for their care.
Plants Used in the Governor's Landscape
Check out these nine plant varieties used in the Georgia governor's mansion project -- and the planting information for each zone.
Summerwine Ninebark and Other Plant Varieties
Find out about 17 plant varieties and how to care for them in specific zones.
Choosing the Right Organic Plants
Choosing the right plants for the area will make an organic garden much more productive.
How to Choose and Maintain Climbing Plants
Arches and pergolas shine when adorned by the right climbing plants. Learn how to choose and maintain your blooms with this gardening guide.
We love to DIY. You love to DIY. Let's get together.More DIY Social
See the latest DIY projects, catch up on trends and meet more cool people who love to create.Make It. Fix It. Learn It. Find It.
- 6 Ways to Make a Pumpkin Topiary
- 11 Unique Pumpkin Decorating Ideas
- How to Make an Illuminated Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make a Natural Pumpkin Topiary
- How to Make Stacked Pumpkin Topiaries
- Make Your Own Preserved Leaf Art