By Emily AndersonMore in Home Improvement
Interior shutters or blinds
Combination LED/tubular unit
1. Make your home brighter and save energy costs by bringing in natural light.
TIP: 47% of home energy goes for lighting and temperature control; natural light can reduce energy costs by as much as 75%
2. To let in as much sunlight as possible, keep windows coverings lightweight.
3. Bring natural light into dark or windowless spaces with a tubular skylight; it’s more affordable and easier to install than a traditional skylight with no reframing, dry walling, or painting.
TIP: Tubular skylights save energy; there’s virtually no heat gain or loss or UV rays entering home.
4. Rooftop dome captures sunlight and brings it inside through highly reflective tube.
TIP: Install dome on south slope of roof for maximum light efficiency.
TIP: Use existing openings of old light fixtures for new tubular entry.
5. Install a combination LED light unit to take over at night and on very cloudy days.
6. Diffuser spreads light evenly throughout room, preventing glare, hot spots, and shifting light.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.