By Emily AndersonMore in Home Improvement
Interior shutters or blinds
Combination LED/tubular unit
1. Make your home brighter and save energy costs by bringing in natural light.
TIP: 47% of home energy goes for lighting and temperature control; natural light can reduce energy costs by as much as 75%
2. To let in as much sunlight as possible, keep windows coverings lightweight.
3. Bring natural light into dark or windowless spaces with a tubular skylight; it’s more affordable and easier to install than a traditional skylight with no reframing, dry walling, or painting.
TIP: Tubular skylights save energy; there’s virtually no heat gain or loss or UV rays entering home.
4. Rooftop dome captures sunlight and brings it inside through highly reflective tube.
TIP: Install dome on south slope of roof for maximum light efficiency.
TIP: Use existing openings of old light fixtures for new tubular entry.
5. Install a combination LED light unit to take over at night and on very cloudy days.
6. Diffuser spreads light evenly throughout room, preventing glare, hot spots, and shifting light.