By Emily AndersonMore in Outdoors
Fine tooth file or sharpening stone
TIP: Keep your lawn green with well-maintained equipment.
1. Sharpen blade regularly with fine tooth file or sharpening stone.
TIP: To keep blade balanced, make same number of stokes on each side, maintaining original cutting edge; unbalanced blade won’t spin properly.
TIP: Clean cut of sharp blade can keep grass healthier.
2. For easy maintenance, get a battery-powered mower.
TIP: Some lithium-ion batteries now product as much power as gas mowers, 56 volts; they can charge in half an hour; one charge can last up to 45 minutes, enough to mow 1/3 acre.
TIP: If the same type battery is in other lawn equipment, recharge the second while mowing with the first.
3. Cut 1/3 of height of grass at each mowing; this keeps grass healthy and discourages weeds.
4. If grass is thick, push mower slowly so blade can cut more thoroughly and mower can discharge clipping more effectively.
5. Never store mower under plastic; this can cause rust and corrosion.
All fields are required.
Remember me on this computer
Please enter your email address and we will send your password
Your password has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very soon.
Sign up with DIY Network to share tips with other do-it-yourselfers and comment and ask questions on projects.
It's free and easy.