Woven Valentine Heart Card
This simple card is a great kids' project.
Materials and Tools:
card stock folded into tri-fold card *
* One simple choice is to cut an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper in half lengthwise and fold each end over at 3-3/5 inches. Another option, which makes a larger card and may be easier for children, is to cut an 11" x 17" piece in half lengthwise and make folds at 5-1/2 inches. You may need to trim a little off of the end for this to be exact.
1. Begin by folding the left side over and draw or trace a heart on that panel. Cut out the heart you have just drawn on the paper.
2. Fold that panel back the other way and lightly trace inside the heart-shape you have just cut. Your new heart drawing will be on the back of the center panel of your card.
3. Using the new drawing, measure and mark a box that is just large enough to include the size of the heart, and across the top of that box, make marks at 1/2-inch intervals or whatever measurement will make even strips across.
4. Using a craft knife, cut vertical lines down from your marks at the top of the box down to the bottom of the box.
5. From a contrasting color paper (we used red and white), cut 1/2-inch-wide strips or whatever measurement you used at the top of the box. They need to be as long as the folds on your card are wide.
6. Starting from one end, weave over and under through the vertical cuts in your card. With your second strip, you will begin weaving under and over the opposite way from the first strip, so that you are forming a checkerboard with your weaving.
7. When you have finished your weaving, fold the cut-out heart over the weaving and you will have a woven heart. Glue down that frame, if you like, and then open up your card and write your sentiment.