Mod Parsons Table
Materials and Tools:
paper towel or clean cloth rag
blue painter's tape
paint roller and tray
large piece of cardstock or poster board
large bowl (ours was about 11-1/2" in diameter)
several pieces of large scrapbook paper, cardstock or colored poster board
two medium to large foam paintbrushes
1. You can use any type of shape to decorate the table: circles, triangles, flower shapes, etc. We used a rounded diamond shape. To make a template for this shape, use a yardstick to draw a straight line across the length of the large piece of cardstock or poster board, and draw another line across the width of the paper that intersects with the first line, so that the paper is divided into four sections. Use the large bowl to draw an arc in each section of the paper. Cut the diamond out and trim about 1/8"-1/4" off each point to create blunt edges. This will make it easier to use the template.
2. Trace several shapes onto the paper you have chosen for the table and cut them out. The size of the table will determine the number of cutouts you need.
3. Sand the top of the table with fine-grit sandpaper and wipe away the dust with a clean towel or rag.
4. Use painter's tape to tape off the vertical edges of the table. Apply one to two coats of primer to the top of the table with a paint roller, allowing it to dry between coats. After the primer has dried, apply 1-2 coats of latex paint to the tabletop, allowing it to dry between coats. Allow to dry completely before moving on.
5. With a large foam brush, brush over the back of each shape with découpage medium and place them down on the table, corner to corner. Smooth out air bubbles as you go along. Brush découpage medium on the entire tabletop. Allow to dry and apply a second coat. Trim away any shapes hanging over the edges.
6. Once the second coat of découpage medium is completely dry, brush on a coat of glossy polyurethane on the tabletop, using the foam brush. Allow it to dry; then apply a second coat.
7. Allow the second coat of polyurethane to dry for 2-4 hours before removing the blue tape. You may need a craft knife to help remove the tape.